Could Leafer Peninsula really be an Easter Egg?

Talk about all aspects of the gameplay of Final Fantasy 3us/6j.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Could Leafer Peninsula really be an Easter Egg?

Postby Master ZED » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I was reading the timesink that is TVTropes because FML and came across this bit about FF1 on the Ascended Glitch page:

The "Peninsula of Power", in the original game, was a small, two-tile section of the world map that was accidentally coded for the wrong area, allowing players to fight much stronger monsters than they would normally be able to when they could first reach it. This one area was incredibly useful for Level Grinding, and has proved so popular the glitch has remained in all subsequent remakes of the game. Other Final Fantasy titles also had small "Peninsulas" of their own because of this glitch.

I knew about the FF1 bug, and I knew about similar locations like the forest in FF9 where you fight Grand Dragons, but the bolded part caught my mind's eye and prompted a question: could ye olde Leafer Peninsula have been an intentional inversion of the old FF1 grind site?

Leafer Peninsula both isn't entirely covered by one encounter matrix, and has one side whose monsters have notably different power levels. Instead of being new, ultra-powerful beasts you have no business dealing with yet, those fiends are the first random mobs you likely ever encountered when you first made your way to a world map. The fact that you can simply walk to it early into the WOR is also an important similarity, but the peninsula being in the WOR at all also plays into the inversion idea as nicely as the titular Leafers do.

So what do you guys think: glitch, or misunderstood Easter Egg?
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Re: Could Leafer Peninsula really be an Easter Egg?

Postby Assassin » Tue May 03, 2016 10:33 pm

bug.

they just happened to choose Monster 4-Pack #0, a mainstay default for WoB oceans and empty/unused dungeon areas, to put there?

then again, this 4-pack *isn't* used elsewhere in the WoR. the oceans there tend to use packs from nearby land areas. so anything's possible. but i hesitate to give these incompetents credit on anything, in absence of evidence it was earned. :P i just see #0 as what the game data is filled with before the designers selectively overwrite it with something else, and this peninsula's encounters stemming from them not realizing it extended into a new map zone.

also, congrats on not being dead. :P
Assassin

Postby Imzogelmo » Wed May 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Ditto on everything Assassin just said (especially the not being dead part), but also, my own little completionist tale with this:

Once upon a time, when I still played this, and indeed, still had my cartridge and a working SNES... I think it was my 2nd full playthrough. I was trying to get a full Rage list, when I looked over my hand-typed notes and noticed that one of the few blanks left in my list was the Leafer. Yep, somehow I had managed to miss that fight entirely, and it was not appearing on the Veldt of course.

This was before the internet was really popular, and certainly before we had it (well, maybe AOL, not sure). It was certainly a long time before we had turned over most every tidbit of data in the game, and honestly, before I even knew anything about rom hacking outside a game genie.

So, in my stupor and urgency to get every rage, I wandered the world map trying to find any enemy that I had missed... and lo and behold, I stumbled across this peninsula and the long-lost Leafer formation. I didn't know how it happened, and I didn't realize that it was a bug, but I was just glad that somehow the game had seen in it's "wisdom" to let me come across a seemingly-rare encounter at such a late point in the game (with over 100 hours invested, I really didn't want to start over just for that). So, I fought it, and on my next trip to the Veldt, I added it to my list. I think the only other attainable one that I missed was the Grenade.

Damn Grenade.

The Rage list was useful for pointing out other issues too... Like, why is White Drgn in the rage list, and ProtoArmor is not? And that stupid Allo Ver monster.. missing its sidekick Lanolin, surely? And Chupon... ugh, stupid choice for the list. I think just re-arranging some of the monsters could make a much more sensible list in terms of those holes.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Lenophis » Fri May 06, 2016 9:42 am

Yeah, gonna go with the "bug" side on this one. #MnrogarCivilWar

Oh my god I'm so sorry...

ANYWAY, I think an Easter Egg would qualify as "reviving leo" or something equally dumb that the developers obviously never had time for.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Assassin » Tue May 10, 2016 4:22 pm

those fiends are the first random mobs you likely ever encountered when you first made your way to a world map.

admittedly, i'd be more confident in my viewpoint if 4-Pack #0 had been the Narshe cave encounters.
Assassin

Postby Imzogelmo » Wed May 11, 2016 11:19 am

World map team gets their stuff done first, so their monster packs are lower. (sounds good, anyway)
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Return to FF3 Gameplay Discussion