100+ bugs

Talk about all aspects of the gameplay of Final Fantasy 3us/6j.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

100+ bugs

Postby Novalia Spirit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:36 am

After bughunting this game for 5 months and spending countless days only to convert a massive block of engrrrrrrrish slang into a decent post, here I am, finally, reavealing the results of my semi-secret, thorough-to-the-point-of-obsessivity bughunting crusade. Man, it almost feels like I'm releasing a FAQ or something.

Anyways, before you go on and read this massive list, just know that some of these bugs may happen not to truly be bugs. There are a few of them which still leave me in doubt, yet I felt confident enough about their veracity to post them. And I know a bug or two could've been merged together, but I'm really too exhausted right now, so I'll leave them as is.

Also take note that the reason why I'm making a topic out of this is so that I can link to it when I want to (for example, I'm going to post this on GameFAQs after hearing about your complaints/suggestions/whatever). And I'd also demand to Master ZED that he links to this topic as he adds me to the "credits" section of his guide. Oh, and take note that "Heat status" refers to Air Anchor's status. Happy reading.

Edit: due to bandwith issues, screenshots can be found here.

Note: bugs which were known to their fullest extent and which were already destined to the Bugs Guide were recolored to red, even though it may happen that I was the first to discover them. The same goes for thoses which I've been told were known by many, even though they weren't considered bugs, which I do. Note to myself: redo this.

Time/Location-Specific Bugs

#1 Wrong leader x3

At the start of the game, have any of the Star Wars guys be the lead character. Now try leaving Narshe through the South gate: a short scene will occur, then your party will regather, putting Terra into the lead even though she technically isn't. Apparently, the programmers assumed you wouldn't reorganize your party, which is probably true in most cases. Note that this bug also happens once you reach the mines' entrance, and after shattering the fence.

#2 Overenthusiastic guards welcome a never-departed Edgar

As you gain control of Edgar and have your first talk with Kefka in Figaro Castle, what you normally do is talk to Locke and have the story advance, thereafter gaining control of Terra. However, if you don't do that and explore the castle with Edgar beforehand, you may notice something quite unexpected, as some guards will say: "King Edgar! Welcome back!"

The thing is, Edgar really didn't leave the castle. Those guards were given two possible messages: one if Edgar isn't in your party, and one if he is. Square probably expected the latter to only be encounterable past the Narshe 3-party battle, which should explain why they didn't use a third message. Alternatively, they could've set some guards in front of the door so that Edgar couldn't go past them. Apparently, Square opted for neither option.

#3 Dead men talking: M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-Magic?

Anytime from the M-TekArmor battle in Figaro Castle to the end of Figaro Cave, have Terra trigger the "M-M-M-M-M-Magic" scene with the Fire spell (or any attack spell you can gain at a higher level), but not as you'd normally do that: have her cast the spell on your party. If the spells kills everyone, the scene will occur regardless. As it seems to be, the "scene" check has priority over the "Game over" one.

This bug also occurs if you have Terra kill Lete River Ultros plus your party with a single use of the Merton spell, which Terra learns at level 86.

#4 Sudden darkness: M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-Magic?

For this bug to be feasible, Terra must be level 26+, so that she has the Warp spell.

At the time you fight the M-TekArmors in Figaro Castle at the start of the game, make sure Terra doesn't cast a single spell. Then, from the moment after till reaching the exit in Figaro Cave, have Terra cast Warp into a battle. Doing so will trigger the "M-M-M-M-M-Magic" scene, but in one very special way: you won't see the scene since the screen will fade out beforehand. From this point, keep pushing the "confirm" button down till the scene and the battle end.

#5 Shadow's shadow

As everybody knows, the first time you step foot into South Figaro, you normally see Shadow walk towards the Cafe. As expected, in the case you follow him into the building, he'll be there. It is once Vargas is killed that Shadow disappears from the Cafe.

Now here's the bug: ignore South Figaro till you beat Vargas. Retrace your steps to South Figaro, and you will, here again, see Shadow walk towards the Cafe. BUT, he won't be in it.

And there's even worse: if you ignore the scene until you play Locke's scenario, Shadow'll be stuck behind the guard and the M-TekArmor sprites by the town's entrance. Note that going into a building will destroy your chances of seeing the bug occur, so you MUST beat the HeavyArmor as you make your way to Shadow.

Shadow - Locke's Scenario

#6 Dead party: Returners' Hideout edition

Before going to the Returners' Hideout, make sure Terra is dead. After a short scene involving Banon, you'll be left in control of Terra... who's left dead. Good job, Square.

#7 Lete River's sound effect...

At the Returners' Hideout, once all of the scenes have been cleared, you should find yourself into a tunnel that leads to Lete River. Listen attentively, and you should notice the river sound effect is playing "loud" even though it shouldn't be so since the volume should be much lower than that. Just access the menu screen or exit the room and then return, and the sound effect should be playing at the right volume.

#8 Banon: a conditional Game Over

For this bug to be feasible, Terra must be level 68+, as it'll have her learn Break naturally.

Normally, when Banon dies, you should get a Game Over screen and everything should be over for you. But here's a way to screw this: instead of having Banon die through an HP = 0 method, kill him through Break; you'll have a petrified - yet "invincible" - Banon with you, yet you won't get Game Over.

#9 Invisible walls

The red rectangle on the following screenshot will show you where it is impossible for you to get out of Mobliz:

Imaginary Wall - Map's Extension

Note that this bug also occurs in the North-West corner of Albrook, two tiles South from the southern-most tree.

EDIT: and E/SE of Cid's house, the second last tile.

#10 South Figaro's secret shortcut

In South Figaro, right behind the Cafe, even though it should normally be impossible for you to cross over to the other side as water should block your way, you can do so. The reason for that is that Square's map designers, as many would do, discontinued the canal anywhere the player wouldn't see it. There's nothing wrong with doing so as long as something is done to make the tiles impassable. But in this case, they simply didn't do that.

This shortcut only has one practical use, and it has to do with Locke's scenario. Considering you beat the HeavyArmor, using this shortcut lets you complete the scenario without changing clothes, ever. Else, to a lesser extent, you can make it through without the guard's uniform. The latter also leads to another small bug: the merchant which has the Cider will attack Locke even if he's dressed as a merchant, and if you Steal the merchant's clothes, the "Locke wears new clothes" scene will occur regardless.

#11 The slip/phase/walk through moving people bug

As everyone knows, as an NPC moves towards a tile, you can't move towards the same tile. It's blatantly obvious. H-O-W-E-V-E-R, if you access the menu and come back to the game and then immediately walk towards the said tile, there's a chance for both the hero sprite and the NPC to appear over the same tile as you walk through the NPC. Note that it's sometimes impossible to accomplish, depending on which directions the hero sprite and the NPC are facing. Also note that it's much easier to get it to work through a slow-moving NPC (i.e. an old woman).

Now here's one specific use for this bug, and it's not to be disregarded in any way. Just take a look at the following screenshot:

Slip Through 1 (animated)

Edit due to bandwith issues:

Slip Through 1 (animated)

This is the one guard who blocks South Figaro's E exit in Locke's scenario. YES, YOU CAN COME OUT OF SOUTH FIGARO WITHOUT CELES. And on top of that, if Locke is wearing the merchant or the green guard disguise, he'll keep it permanently... or until a point I haven't reached yet since I still have to go more in depth about the side-effects. Now see what happens subsequently:

Slip Through 2
Slip Through 3
Slip Through 4
Slip Through 5
Slip Through 6
Slip Through 7
Slip Through 8

Edit due to bandwith issues:

Slip Through 2
Slip Through 3
Slip Through 4
Slip Through 5
Slip Through 6
Slip Through 7
Slip Through 8

Other than that, all I know for sure is that Celes is reinserted in your party if you die at the Opera House (and probably after you clear it). I haven't played for longer than that. Oh, and note that Celes's name isn't restored.

EDIT: Celes's never reinserted in your party, ever. The game only applies Celes's sprite to the character that's in the memory.

#12 Shadow joining in some screwed fashion

As you should know, at the start of Sabin's scenario, Shadow can be recruited at Gau's father's house... But don't do so, because if you've never talked to him before, you can trigger a bug here. Just play the game till Cyan joins in, have him be the lead character, THEN recruit Shadow. As Shadow's intro screen is displayed, Cyan's sprite won't get cleared as Square probably tried to remove Sabin's to no avail. Then, another oddity: after the renaming screen, Sabin's sprite should appear a few tiles East of Cyan.

Shadow - Gau's Father's House
Shadow - Gau's Father's House

#13 Fleeing from Kefka: Imperial Camp edition

As you fight Kefka at the Imperial Camp during Sabin's scenario, try running away: you'll get a "can't escape" message, just as expected. Now, if you got the Warp Stone from South Figaro, try using it; yeah, it works. Go figure.

#14 N.o...e.s.c.a.p.e...! ...F.o.r...m.e...!?

Aboard the Phantom Train, during Sabin's scenario, there's one wagon where a ghost comes out and blocks the exit. Then, after fighting him, you should find yourself out of the wagon, having a bunch of ghosts chasing you.

What you have to know here is that the initial ghost only appears after you've stepped on specific tiles, where the events were layed down. The red squares on the following screenshot will tell you were these events can be found:

No Escape 1

As you can see, they can be avoided just by following the path shown by the arrow. Now, if you explore the back of the room, here's what you should stumble across:

No Escape 2

Yes, it's the ghost that should've blocked the door under normal circumstances. If you're wondering, Square simply used a common game-making technique where you just have to hide an event away from the player's sight, which event is teleported just as soon as needed.

#15 Dead party: ghost edition

Aboard the Phantom Train, during Sabin's scenario, make sure you recruit some ghosts along the way. Before reaching the point where all ghosts leave your party, kill everyone but the ghosts. As the ghosts leave off, they'll leave you in control of a dead party.

#16 Reviving dead Piranhas

At Baren Falls, have a character target with a Fenix Down the last Piranha from a group, but just before it gets killed by someone else. The Piranha will resurrect, but it'll become invisible and untargettable, making the battle impossible unless you've reached Rizopas.

#17 Sabin, where art thou?

For this bug to be possible, Sabin has to be level 42 or greater as he hits the Veldt during his scenario, as it'll have him learn Spiraler naturally.

Just get into some random encounters till Gau shows up asking for food (for it to happen, both Cyan and Sabin must be alive). Before using the Dried Meat, have Sabin use Spiraler, which should banish him. You see it coming, do you? Just use the Dried Meat on Gau, and the scene will occur, but without Sabin. This will also result in Kappah being invisible as he explains Gau's abilities, let aside a short reapparition at the end.

#18 A row of pixels

Nikeah - Row of Pixels (animated)

Focus your eyes on the grass, anywhere it comes into touch with the water AND is covered with trees.

#19 Cyan and his imaginary friend

During Sabin's scenario, be sure to not talk to the lady at the Cafe in Nikeah. Then, anytime from after you clear the three-party battle in Narshe to the end of the WoB, make a party of Cyan (only him).

Now go see the girl. There are two possible outcomes for this scene: one of them occurs if Sabin's in your party, else you get a more-or-less random character to go next to Cyan, laugh and say: "goodness!". You should get the latter, even though noone's there to say that line. Note that as the aforementoned line is pronounced, Cyan should turn around and look to the North, as it's where the one-who-said-that should've been. After that, Cyan'll move towards whoever-said-that so to gather into a party, in which case never existed.

Similar oddities also occur when Terra meets Banon in Narshe, when Strago meets Gungho in WoB Thamasa, and when you open up Cyan's chest in Mt. Zozo's Cave with Cyan. In all cases, the said character must go all by himself.

#20 Shadow leaves while in mid-air

Steal some DragoonBoots from Harvester in Mt.Zozo, and give them to Shadow. Now encounter the enemies and try having Shadow be in mid-air as you win the battle: if Shadow leaves your party, he'll just do that from mid-air... Ta-da!

Obviously, this bug can only be achieved starting from Mt. Zozo till doing the Opera House sequence, depending on when Shadow was recruited.

#21 Locke's half-body

If you access the menu while Locke's on his seat after the first musical act is completed at the Opera House, you'll witness Locke's half-body in all its splendor as the seat (the event one) won't hide his torso anymore.

Locke - Opera House

#22 Gaules

Make a party of Locke, Celes and Gau, and clear the Opera House with this very party. As Locke and Gau jump into the airship and Setzer comes in, Gau will go to where Celes is, which situation results in the both of them standing at the very same place, on the very same tile.

Gaules

#23 Imperial Base guards becoming less agressive

How things work at the Imperial Base is that if you push the "confirm" button while facing one of the guards, you get into a battle, and the same thing occurs as you get by them after taking a single step. The reason behind this is that three events were layed down by the entrance, and these events make it so that as the hero passes over them, battle is also triggered if the hero sprites passes by a guard. However, there is no such event in front of the main building, so if you go in and out of it, you can now walk around safely, going anywhere you want.

Imperial Base

#24 Absorbing HP/MP from invincible enemies

As you face invincible Guardian or invincible Phunbaba, have your characters use Osmose or Drain or have them attack with a Drainer or a Soul Sabre: it'll deal 0 point of damage, yet the characters' HP/MP will get healed for an amount that won't equal 0.

#25 Misplaced camera: Research Facility edition

To put it simple: the scene at the Research Facility where you get all the Espers from completely screws the screen's X/Y center position, which results in the hero sprite not being placed at the center of the screen. However, accessing the menu or going down the elevator puts everything back into place.

Center Position - Facility - Before
Center Position - Facility - After

#26 Siren's sprite/event being recycled

As your party gets back to Mt. Zozo after you beat the Cranes, a scene occurs and, at some point, the Espers react to Terra. If you previously left Siren untouched, as Locke takes the "reacting" Esper out of his pocket, Siren will temporarily disappear from the map. My guess here is that the programmers tried recycling the event/sprite, hence the above title.

#27 Wrong leader

Into the Cave to the Sealed Gate, where the bridges form and collapse all the time, try accessing the menu 1/3rd of a second before the swap occurs. Change your leader, and exit: the hero sprite won't get the change. Tip: if you hear the bridge sound effect as you access the menu, you weren't quick enough, so it shouldn't work.

This bug also happens where the three ghost doors can be found in Owser's mansion.

#28 Under the wall

In that place where the Cave to the Sealed Gate's save point can be found, to the left of it, one of the wall's tiles appear above the hero sprite instead of being at the same height. That's all there is to it.

Sealed Gate - Wall

#29 Kefka's special

The Sealed Gate Kefka battle is such a joke that probably none of you ever saw Kefka use two attacks - total - during this battle. Too bad for you, because you've been missing a bug for all this time: when Kefka uses his special (Hit), instead of seeing the attack's name appear into the textbox, you'll see... absolutely nothing. And to add to this, Kefka's attack won't connect, so you'll never really see his special in action.

#30 Fleeing from Kefka: Cave to Sealed Gate edition

All the programmers did for this battle was to disable the L and R buttons so that you couldn't run away. All you have to do is use Warp or a Warp Stone, and you'll be out of this pathetic key-event battle.

#31 Cid and Gestahl's phasing mode

Before talking to Gestahl as you go to the Imperial Castle before the banquet, try going past the doors to the North. What'll happen is that the guards will block your way and stay in front of them. Now talk to Gestahl, and Cid will come out of the dinner room, walking through the left guard, and as the scene ends, Gestahl will go past the right door, phasing through the second guard. And to end the combo, Cid will get back to the dinner room while doing you-know-what here again.

#32 A blue glow

At the banquet, get into a battle and let the timer run out. Just after the battle, you should notice a strange, blue glow covering the screen, which should turn out yellow shortly before disappearing.

#33 Two different village themes for one sequence

As Terra and Locke get back to Albrook after the banquet, notice how the village theme has been switched temporarily. Now enter the Cafe: it had some lively theme before, but as the guards left, the place went dead, so the village theme was made to be played instead. However, as they did that, they didn't change the Cafe's theme to the brand new, temporary village theme, which mistake isa bug.

#34 Thamasa with Locke, Terra and Shadow

As you step into Thamasa for the first time after the banquet, don't do anything, and just look at the hero sprite: it's facing South, and it's in a walking pose.

EDIT: now I'm convinced this has to do with #103.

#35 Not feeling sleepy

Doma's Bedroom

As you can see, in Doma Castle, the event which asks whether you'd like to take a rest or not is avoidable. And since it's a hero's-facing-north triggered event, if you walk on that tile but aren't facing North, the question won't get asked.

#36 I've forsaken the world. Some people call me...

This is what Shadow says when you talk to him in Kohlingen, but only if you've never talked to him before. Then, after a short intro and the rename screen, he says: "People call me... [SHADOW]."

Now, as Shadow and Celes come in after you've talked to General Leo in Albrook, without wait, Shadow will say (if, here again, you've never talked to him before): "I've forsaken the world. Some people call me..."

First of all, it just makes no sense for him to say that out of the blue, the first second you see him, without you talking to him. And this time, he won't say: "People call me... [SHADOW]." Instead, you'll see General Leo say: "Let me introduce... General [CELES]... and [SHADOW]. Shadow shouldn't introduce himself in such an improper, incomplete presentation just to get someone else do that after him; even Celes doesn't talk, here.

#37 Leo's phasing mode

As you gain control of Leo in Thamasa, have him try to exit the place through the southern exit so to get this result:

Leo's Phasing

Obviously, if you do that you'll get into a battle with Guardian. What's wrong here is that after the battle, Leo will take a few steps North, like he should do, but here, he'll phase through the flowers which, should I remind you, are impassable in this game.

#38 What is she bragging about exactly?

As you fight Ultros in the Esper Mountain Cave, use Slow (optional) and Stop on him. Now, if you kill him before Stop goes off, Relm won't show up in battle, at all. Yet, after the battle, she'll brag about how great she was even though she wasn't there.

#39 The airship, anytime in the the WoB

First of all, you must've gone in and out of the Floating Continent at least once in the past; it doesn't matter when and how you did it. If you last saved your game on the Floating Continent, save your game elsewhere in the game. If you just jumped out of it, be sure to pilot the airship a little bit before doing anything else.

Now, get back to the Floating Continent, and let your party die in battle. After the Game Over sequence is displayed, your save file should be reloaded... in the airship! If your last save wasn't on the overworld map, the next time you reach it, you'll be piloting the airship automatically.

Now here's the awesome part: if your last save was at the start of the game, YOU WILL STILL GET TO PILOT THE AIRSHIP. However, if you didn't truly have it, as soon as it lands, the airship'll disappear. But, if you get to Vector, you can make the game advance. I think it's pretty much the farthest you could go with the airship without screwing your game.

Edit:

Through the use of this bug, you can skip getting every character in the game except for Terra, Locke, Shadow, Mog, Umaro and Gogo. The characters that have not been recruited at the time they should have been will be replaced by Moogles, Ghosts, Wedge or Leo (there might be more) when the characters in the memory are automatically inserted into the party at some point into the game.

#40 Standing on top of a table

Anyone who's played this game should've noticed how when one of the thieves at the Cafe in WoR South Figaro says "All right, let's go!", he says that from atop the table. However, even though it looks like he just jumped on top of it, it's not the case as the effect wasn't intentional. Just look at it carefully: the guy not only never jumps during that sequence, but as he goes walking after he says that, his legs just as soon appear hidden by the table.

Crimson Thieves

#41 He who wishes he were a thief

Fake Thief

Don't be fooled: this guy's not a thief, and he's not part of Gerad's gang either. He's just a normal citizen, and what he says in the WoB simply is: "Welcome to South Figaro!" Seeing how this guy remains after the true thieves left - and note how the old man by the port later says: "the thieves have all left town", yet this guy's still there - there's a possibility that him and one of the thieves had their lines swapped accidently. Who knows.

#42 A window to the World of Balance

The World of Balance and the World of Ruin graphics differ in many points, right? Well, this leads me to this: the WoB castle graphic is blue, and the WoR one is red. Now, have WoR Figaro Castle submerge/emerge, and see its color as the sequence is plays out.

#43 Me go to funeral?

Take a look at the screenshot, and make your own conclusions. That line probably had to do with Gau's final outfit, the tuxedo, but certainly not the gymnastic one. Or else the japanese have strange tendancies. Uh.. They do have strange tendancies regardless.

Funeral

#44 Phunbaba's early reappearance

To get this bug to work, you mustn't have beaten Phunbaba a single time, and you must have the airship.

Beat Phunbaba once, and then, instead of going out of town, reach the following spots:

Phunababa's Return

Both events are what triggers Phunbaba's return. It would've been an "ok" method should you be forced to beat Phunbaba the first chance you get, but seeing how you can trigger that without getting out's just a bug: Terra will move over to the other house even though you can clearly see she never went out the first one.

#45 Stay there! Good dog!

The event which makes the dog walk towards the hidden staircase in WoR Mobliz was placed one step away from the entrance. By going left, you can easily avoid it and reach the staircase regardless. If you click under the black area to the right of the entrance, you'll hear the dog do a "woof." If you go down the staircase and get back, the event has disappeared, so whether you move in front of the door or not, the dog'll stay there. However, the dog disappears as you defeat Phunbaba.

EDIT: and note that even though the dog never goes anywhere, it is there when you go downstairs.

Follow-the-Dog 1

#46 Where's the dog!?

Trigger the follow-the-dog event, and reach the following spot:

Follow-the-dog 2

As soon as the dog goes to where Edgar is placed, it should disappear. That means that if Edgar goes left and then right, the dog won't be there anymore, thus resulting in an odd-looking disappearance for the player, especially since the dog can't go down the stairs since the hero sprite blocks the way.

#47 Cyan's treasure chest

After opening Cyan's treasure chest in Mt. Zozo's Cave, try opening it again: while it's already a strange thing that you can open it another time just to get an "empty" message (you can't open it anymore after that), you'll also hear the item-acquisition sound effect. On top of that, if you access the menu or leave the map before opening it for a second time, the sound effect can't ever be heard.

#48 Storm Drgn's sloppy flight

Activate the switch that frees Storm Drgn from the chest, but don't fight it. If you stay by the switch, Storm Drgn will, at some point, collide with/touch the hero sprite as it goes more and more to the left. Now, instead, go South. You should notice how Storm Drgn slowly but surely goes moves North, till the moment it eventually leaves the screen. And you should also notice how Storm Drgn oscillates from time to time. I'm not 100% sure about what I'm going to say, but I think the light overlays act as a wall because it never goes to the other side of them. One thing's for sure: it hits an invisible wall at that point.

Note that as Storm Drgn disappears at the top of the map, it is teleported to the bottom of it, and it becomes invisible (and you can still fight it).

#49 Storm Drgn's frenzy

Set the game's Bat.Speed to "1", and then go fight Storm Drgn. Don't do anything, waiting for Storm Drgn to hit someone with Battle. As soon as it happens, Storm Drgn will get into a loop, repeating the attack over and over again (same damage; same target; never gets blocked). Note that accessing one of the sub-menus, skipping a characters's turn, taking an action or trying to escape should break the loop. The same happens anytime Regen, Poison or Seizure statuses heal HP or deal damage.

#50 Ice Dragon getting trapped

There are a few tiles on that map where once Ice Drgn has gone past them, it cannot go back as some invisible walls block its way the other way around (i.e. the area by the southern exit).

Edit: this also happens to Blue Drgn as it becomes stuck down the bottom-right section of the map.

#51 The view from above

Above the ceiling

This is Gogo's cave, where the ceiling drops all the time. Where the hero sprite is (and to the left and right of it) is where the events that make you Game Over were layed. Once you've stepped on them, if the ceiling drops before you could step on a tile/event that does the opposite effect, you're Game Over. When in a "Game Over" location, the hero sprite is set to appear below the ceiling; else, it's above.

However, these events become temporarily ineffective as you take a last step just before the ceiling drops (that last step results from an event). So, as the ceiling is about to drop, if you go where Mog stands on that picture, you won't be Game Over, and the hero sprite will appear above the ceiling. Note that staying there as the ceiling drops another time means Game Over, unless you walked over the events with Terra (see bug #107).

#52 The phantom diary

To get this bug to work, you must ascend the stairs in Owser's mansion as the lights are switched off. As you do so, a diary should appear atop the nearby desk. Now, go beat Chadarnook, then get back to the desk: even though the diary's graphic's gone, you can still read it.

#53 Misplaced camera: Owser's mansion edition

Where the 3 ghost doors can be found in Owser's mansion, walking in front of one of the doors while it shuts up or opens up makes the screen's X/Y center position shift slightly. If you're having a hard time noticing this, just take a look at the Celes painting. Also note that for some reason, if Mog's in your party and if he has the Moogle Charm on, the bug won't occur at all.

#54 Behind the 3 ghost doors

Try going through one of the 3 ghost doors in Owser's mansion one second before it gets closed. Instead of having yourself teleported where you should, you'll find yourself behind the door, being able to take *gasp* another step to the North.

#55 Open, Sesame

Try going through one of the 3 ghost doors in Owser's mansion 1/3rd of a second before it shuts itself up. An "opens a door" sound effect should be played, and the door should show a "the door's open" graphic which isn't used otherwise. Note that you can't go past the door while it's in this state as it's still considered closed, and also note that you can get all 3 doors to show a "the door's open" at the same time if timing is right.

#56 The non-ghost doors cause glitch

Just as you come into the 3-ghost-door room, notice how the eastern door differ from the others: it's made of wood, which is how doors appear when they're not possessed. And even though you can't see it, the middle also starts this way. Now here's the bug: if you go walking while the middle door or the right door are closing up, some kind of yellow graphic may stick out from one of those doors. Note that accessing the menu may also do that for you (it resets the map to default, thus the wooden doors reappear), that the bug doesn't always occur, and that it only works the first time they get shut, anytime you go to that room. Here's how it looks like normally and when all other graphics are removed:

Yellow 1
Yellow 2

#57 An impossible perspective

At one point into Cyan's nightmare - train section - a small flashback sequence showing Cyan run away from a ghost is plays out. As it occurs, all teleport events become temporarily ineffective. So, as soon as the scene begins, hurry up and climb the western wagon's ladder and get to the next one. If you make it in time, as you get past the door, instead of getting teleported inside the wagon, nothing will happen, resulting in you going North... till you hit the roof

Cyan's Nightmare

#58 A lump of metal

Into Cyan's nightmare - train section - get to the chest in which a lump of metal can be inserted. Have it block your way from one side, and then access the menu: the chest should return to its middle spot even though it blocks your way. Press the "confirm" button, and the lump'll be inserted into... nothing. Access the menu again, and the chest'll reappear in front of you. Yet, if you don't access the menu, you can now move forward.

#59 Disappearance: Magitek Armor

Into any battle during Cyan's nightmare - Magitek Armor section - use Antdot, Regen, Slow, Haste, Bserk, Eyedrop, Revivify, X-Potion or X-Ether on a party member: for the duration of the battle animation, the Magitek Armor sprite should disappear.

Invisible Magitek Armor

Prevent manual character targeting with certain attack animations

Specifically, the following are what this bug involves: Antdot, Bserk,
Dischord, Eyedrop, Haste, Regen, Revivify, Slow, X-Potion, and X-Ether. When any of these are used on a monster, nothing one would consider abnormal happens. On a character however, while the spell's attack graphic is playing out, the character is untargetable. It only lasts for the duration of the attack graphic, but it's abnormal enough for me to list here.

#60 Keeping everyone's legs out of the Reaper's reach

Into Cyan's nightmare - Magitek Armor section - get into a random encounter, and use Doom on a party member: the Reaper'll only take the character's upper body.

Reaper - Magitek

#61 Using physical attacks when riding a Magitek Armor

There are two ways I know of for doing this: have Gogo be an Imp before getting into a battle and then have him use Mimic, else use Imp on a character and have the target pick a Magitek skill in the meantime. Depending on what type of weapon the character's holding, as he attacks, the Magitek Armor could hover instead of walk.

#62 Give us back what you didn't take from us!

One may think that it is when you take the Gem Box out of its treasure chest that has MagiMaster and his disciples get angry. Well, it's not, because the event is an under-the-hero-collision-triggered event. All you have to do is step in front of the treasure box, and then get out.

#63 Looking right, looking up, looking dumb

Just before the MagiMaster battle's triggered, the hero sprite faces right, and then up so as to face MagiMaster in a turnaround motion. Seeing how MagiMaster only pops out as you try going South, it should make sense, no? No. Because while MagiMaster makes his way towards your party, you can still move around. So whether the hero sprite's facing West, North or South, the game still makes it face East then North even though it doesn't make sense anytime it doesn't face South (or, to some extent, East).

#64 Skipping the second phase of Doom's attack script

According to Doom's script, as her HP drops to less than or equal to 32640, a few things should occur ("aura is shaking" message plus hidden statuses), and she should go through a new array of attacks (ForceField, Targetting, etc.) However, if Doom was never dealt direct damage, it won't occur. To achieve that, she must suicide herself through Wall Rings; so that her Ice spells don't heal her, the Debilitator Tool must be used.

All-Around Bugs

#65 The Runicorn

Have a character absorb a spell through Runic, and try running away in the meantime. Here's what it should look like:

Runicorn

#66 Warp Stone, kept simple

Use Muddle on one of your characters, and have the target use a Warp Stone just before the spell could hit him. While your party will escape like expected, the mosaic effect and the sound effect which are associated with the item won't be employed.

#67 Rippler + Control = dizzy

Use Rippler on an enemy you Control: the said enemy will keep flipping sides at the speed of light while the battle animation is displayed. The direction the enemy faces to in the end is random (left or right).

Note: and, as Assassin mentioned some time ago, Muddle status also does that for you (regarding Control).

#68 Magic menu doesn't get refreshed through MP-costing weapons

Have a character waste all of his MP through Illumina, Ragnarok, Punisher or Ogre Nix (they use MP to inflict critical hits), and then access the Magic menu immediately after: even though he should lack the MP to cast many of his spells, these shouldn't have been greyed out.

#69 Defective sound effect differenciation

When playing the game on multiplayer mode, a differenciation in the sound effects can be heard: when it's player 1's turn, you should hear the usual sound effect, and when it's player 2's turn, it's... just something else. However, Square (here again) screwed this completely as the sound effect for the first slot character always comes as default even if Player 2 has control of that character.

#70 Blitzes on any controller

Whether you're playing the game on single mode or on multiplayer mode while either of player 1 or player 2 has control of Sabin/Gogo, Blitzes inputs can be achieved through any controller.

#71 Dead party: returning Gau edition

Have someone do something that'll both kill your party and damage returning Gau (i.e. Quake, Merton, Crusader). Gau should run away, leaving you with a dead party.

#72 Dead party: Heat status edition

Give Heat status to one of your characters, kill everyone else, then have the Heat guy use Warp or a Warp Stone.

#73 Dead party: Degeneration edition

Give Poison or Seizure status to one of your characters (or Regen if he's wearing a Relic Ring), and kill everyone else. Have him use a Warp Stone (not Smoke Bomb) just before the status kills him. After the battle, access the menu, and he may appear dead.

EDIT: it also works with Condemned status.

#74 Dead party: Leaping Gau edition

Give Poison or Seizure status to one of your characters (or Regen if he's wearing a Relic Ring), and kill everyone else but Gau. Now try to time this right: have Gau Leap, and hope the remaining character dies just before the screen fades out.

#75 You're dust... but not really

If a character or an enemy attempts to cast a spell while lacking the MP and being afflicted with Heat status, not only won't the character/monster die, but the status won't stick.

#76 Mimicking Retort

If Gogo tries Mimicking Retort - 2nd phase (the counterattack) - instead of either cloning the counterattack or doing a simple physical attack, Gogo will go with Retort - 1st phase.

#77 The hovering Chocobo

If you keep pushing the "confirm" button rapidly and repeatedly while riding a Chocobo, the Chocobo will be hovering instead of walking, as it seems like the counter/variable is reset/cleared as you release the button.

#78 Wave effect's effect

While in battle, use something that comes off with a wave effect (i.e. NoiseBlaster, Bismark, Terrato, Siren, Ifrit, L.4 Flare, Cleansweep, Merton, Ultima (enemies: R.Polarity)). It's not that easy to notice, but the wave effect misplaces the battle backdrop as follows:

Wave Effect

Note about the screenshot: only compare the very top of each sample.

#79 Resuming after a reload

Save your game AND get into a battle on the overworld map; let your party die. As it'd happen if you'd won a battle, after the game is reloaded, the overworld theme will be resumed instead of getting reset. Note that this bug only occurs on the overworld map.

#80 Mimicking a failed Dance

Have Gogo use Mimic after someone uses Dance and stumbles. If Gogo's Dance succeeds, the attack (with a few exceptions) should target whoever failed dancing if it's a single-targetting attack; else, your party should be the target.

#81 Having your money stolen makes you rich

Make sure Relm's in your party, and equip her with the Cat Hood. Have an enemy steal money from your party (i.e. Ursus or Harvester). As you kill the enemies and win the battle, you'll receive twice as much GP as what the enemies stole from you. Seeing how Ursus steals 8724 GP a shot, that's quite nice. And combined with bug #89, so that Ursus doesn't run away, that's even nicer.

#82 Struck by a ghost

In a back/side attack, use Muddle on Cyan/Gogo, and have the afflicted use Dispatch. If Dispatch hits the user while he's facing right, the following should occur:

Self-Dispatched

#83 Heat status sticks after death

Kill someone being afflicted with Heat status. Revive that character, and have it take an action: he'll become dust. Note that Runic and Retort also suffer from this bug.

#84 Runicking as an Imp

Get into a battle where one of the enemies can cast Sour Mouth. Have Celes/Gogo Runic, then wait till Sour Mouth hits her/him. Now, cast a spell that can be runicked, and it'll do the following:

Runic - Imp

#85 Flans sticking for too long

Get into a battle against x1, x2, x3 Flan formations. Kill the first Flan, and, against the x2 formation, use something that'll kill both enemies at once (i.e. the Flash Tool). Before the first Flan dies, it should call the x3 formation. However, since both Flans technically died at the same time, after the first one disappears, the second Flan will, in turn, try to get the x3 formation to drop, in which case happens AFTER those 3 Flans fell down.

Flans

#86 Pep Up not doing what it should

Note that while there's no out-of-doubt evidence confirming that what follows is a bug, I'm still pretty confident about it: Pep Up should've healed for an amount of HP and MP that would've equalled the target's MAX HP and MAX MP, not its current HP and its MAX MP. Pep Up disfavors the weak? You're kidding me, that's nonsense. That's not worth the banishing. And seeing how FF5's Pep Up (Fusion) fully replenishes HP and MP is enough evidence for me to be convinced about this one.

#87 Self-targetted Pep Up

If an enemy or a character uses Pep Up on itself/himself, just before the caster's gets banished, he'll recover one point of... something. I think it's either 0 HP turned into 1 HP, either 1 MP, which equals Pep Up's casting cost. Regardless, Pep Up's supposed to zero the caster's HP and MP. Yet, when self-targetted, the caster's MP's recovered completely.

#88 Drowning at the beach by Cid's house

Have Umaro, Setzer, Mog, Shadow or Cyan be the lead character, and get to the beach by Cid's house. As you walk into the water, you should notice something quite unexpected: the water will appear above the hero sprite, which makes it look like it's submerged completely.

Drowning

#89 Counterattacks and Control

Enemy conterattacks still are operative while an enemy is controled; for obvious reasons, it shouldn't be the case.

#90 The dead double-blocks

This is some sort of add-on to the following bug:

Fenix Down double block -

Give a character a shield that will produce a shield animation on blocked
attacks. Go into battle and use a Fenix Down on the character in a situation you know it will miss (when they are alive for example). The "victim" will block once, then not two seconds later block again with a differently colored shield.

Equip someone with such a shield, and give that person a Relic Ring as well. Kill him, and then try to revive him in battle: his dead body should raise up, double-block the revival attempt, and then fall back down.

#91 The third row

Use Muddle on Cyan/Gogo, and hope he uses Cleave against your party; he won't die at his original position, but will rather die somewhere amongst or in front of your party. If you get lucky, he'll die somewhere below the menu. Note: If you're having problems triggering this bug, have Cyan be in the first character slot, I think it should help.

Heat - Muddle - Cleave 1
Heat - Muddle - Cleave 2

#92 Swordless Runic/Retort

Use the ability, then simply unequip the user's weapon.

#93 The dead felt itchy

Get into a pincer attack, and clear one side of all enemies. Now try running away until at least one character could escape: those who were facing whichever direction you escaped to will turn around, and this also includes dead characters.

#94 Swapping sprites too early, but not too much

Go within the airship, and talk to one of your characters so that you can change your party. As you choose "yes", focus on the hero sprite just before the screen fades out. Half of the time, the hero sprite gets swapped for another character's before the screen could fade out, and that "new" character retains the old character's palette. Try not having character 0, 1, 2 and 3 in your party (Terra, Locke, Edgar and Sabin); it should help.

Sprite Swap

Note that it only lasts for 1/nth of a second, and that I couldn't trigger the bug in the WoB. Also note that it usually goes from character 0, 1, 2, etc. until it stumbles across someone who's not in your current party, disregarding the lead character in its search. So, if Locke and Terra are in the same party, having Locke be the lead character should keep the bug from happening.

#95 Screwing the shops' menus

Get to a shop, let the cursor go over "Buy", and push the "confirm" button followed immediately with the "cancel" button. If you were fast enough, the characters should still be displayed even though you aren't shopping anymore. Now, if you select "Buy" again, the game will, most of the time, freeze up; else, your characters should be duplicated. If you access the "Sell" menu, you should still see them, and you can see them react in one semi-random manner depending on which item the cursor is pointing to. For exemple, the game may pretend that a Dried Meat is better equipment for Terra, or even better, for a blank spot.

Shops

#96 Reviving an undead enemy

There isn't much to say here: if something is used in order to revive an undead - yet destroyed - enemy (i.e. Life 3 or a Fenix Down if timed correctly), the battle animation for whatever was used won't be displayed.

#97 The airship: moving when it shouldn't

Get aboard the airship, take note of where it's located (look at its shadow), get to the view from within the airship, and then pilot it again: the airship's not exactly where it was before, because it moved in a certain direction.

This happens because the airship's affected by whatever event dictates the hero sprite's location when you normally return to the overworld map from a dungeon, town, etc. (i.e. when you come out of Narshe). In this exemple, when you come out of Narshe and reach the overworld map, the hero sprite should appear one tile South from the overworld entrance. Thus, every time you'd go to the view from within the airship and then pilot it again, the airship would reappear one tile South from its previous location.

#98 Returning Gau runs away... while in mid-air

First give returning Gau Poison or Seizure status, then Heat status. Before returning Gau suffers damage from the status, use Muddle/Palidor, and he should say his "I'm scared" line from mid-air.

Note: seeing how Muddle/Palidor doesn't work when returning Gau is either stopped or asleep, this one bug isn't that easy to reproduce.

#99 Reviving Flans

In a Flan x1, x2, x3 battle, do a Muddle/Phoenix combo as you fight the x3 formation. You won't notice that immediately, but the x1 Flan has been revived, and it's become invisible and untargettable. However, using special abilities such as Dispatch should make it appear. If this particular Flan is killed last, another set of Flan x3 should drop down.

#100 Mumble, mumble, mumble

Control an enemy, and have someone else select Rippler just before getting muddled. If Rippler hits the Control guy, the Rippler guy will stay in its "mumbling" pose and this, till the battle ends (unless you kill him or something)

#101 Control/Palidor

Summon Palidor while one of your characters controls an enemy. If one of the other guys hit the controlled enemy before the one who controls it drops down, the latter should become invisible, untargettable and "berserked." And he can't run away.

#102 Non-talkative NPCs react to keypresses while they shouldn't

The above title says it all. Here's one of the worst situations where this bug can be seen in action:

5-in-1 Fanatics

#103 Stuck in a pose

Just so you know... You can't play this game for more than 5 minutes without experiencing this bug. No way. After any event-dictated movement occurs, the hero sprite may appear to be stuck in its last pose or its walking pose. The easiest way to see this is to go up and down some stairs. Most of the time, if you stop walking, the hero sprite should appear in a walking pose. Other examples of this are when you jump on a turtle, when trying to go up a conveyor belt to no avail, and after a scene where your party was split temporarily.

I personally think that the "dash" bug in FFA isn't exclusive to the version, but rather is an extension of this one bug.

EDIT: one better example of this bug is when you're within the airship and talk to the guy who can unequip your characters. While you do so, the hero sprite should look South and be in a walking pose, yet, even if the said guy isn't South of the hero sprite, you can still talk to him since the game still considers you're facing him.

#104 Restored map songs not being refreshed immediately

This bug happens anytime an event has a certain song played instead of what's there by default. As the event ends, the default theme isn't restored immediately, but only the next time a map gets "loaded." The thing is, going in and out of the menu will do that for you. Here are a few examples of this:

When you first get to Figaro Castle, after talking to the guard by the entrance;
Just after talking to Locke with Edgar in Figaro Castle, after discussing with Kefka;
Just after the Chocobo knight who blocks Figaro Cave leaves;
Just after you talk to Shadow for the first time;
Just after getting Ramuh, which also affects the Rain sound effect's volume;
Just after taking the boat to Nikeah/South Figaro;
Just after discussing with Banon in Narshe after the Cranes battle;
Just after talking to the Impressario in Jidoor.

#105 The 255th message glitch

Get into a battle, have 255 battle messages displayed, and something along the lines of this should occur:

Item
Special
Bio Blaster
Debilitator

Most of the time, depending on what was selected, you'll get the message to be displayed on the left side of the textbox, and nothing else should happen. Also note that if you get 255 additional messages to show up, the bug'll occur, again. If memory serves, I think a "can't escape" message resets whatever variable is used in this case.

Not Fully-Credited Bugs

#106 Mag Roader encounters

Mag Roader Encounters

#107 Terra's extra step

Normally, where the ceiling rise n' drops in Gogo's cave and where you have a few seconds after flipping a switch in Cyan's nightmare - train section - to reach a certain treasure chest, if you go walking as the ceiling drops/the switch's flipped back up, the game should let the character take a final step before the event resumes its process. However, for some unknown reason, if Terra's the lead character, she'll take two steps, and as she takes her second step, she can walk through anything.

If you do that in Cyan's nightmare, all it does is let you go past the teleport events at the entrance and walk over the black area, and also walk over stuff. However, in Gogo's cave, it lets you slip through the wall by the eastern exit. And here's more: the whole dungeon's featured on a single map, so you can travel all over the place once you've done that. And here's even more: since the ceiling's on layer 2, anything that's featured on that layer will behave like the ceiling.

Layer 2 - Bridges (animated)
Last edited by Novalia Spirit on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 46 times in total.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:32 am

daang.. good stuff, man.

here's a quick response to ones that were already known (partially or fully), or that i just have comments on.

------------------

#3 - more or less already in the giant bugs topic, though it was slightly different in that it had Terra's friends running rather than everybody dying. EDIT: i had typoed "#3" as "#13" for a few minutes.

#10 - well-known, though generally not called a bug. what convinces you the passage wasn't intentional, and the makers just decided never to illustrate a small bridge that could never be seen? of course, i'd give you the benefit of the doubt over the makers. :)

#16 - sure it becomes impossible? in other circumstances like these, using a randomly targeting attack like Blitz or SwdTech will still hit such enemies. at any rate, no argument on its bughood.

#32 - there is some sort of screen tweaking crap in the event code, though i really don't understand what it's doing (in particular, some of the IF tests boggle me). i wouldn't be surprised if it was by design.

#38 - i've heard it before (from Djibriel, probably), though in the form of leveraging vanish/doom. Stop is cool though because you don't need one bug to activate another.

#62 - was aware, from investigating a g'faqs post where somebody could never get the cult members to surround them (and the game hung?), but i have no evidence i posted it, so tough nuts for me. :)

#81 - known, think ZED told me. I argued against it being a bug on the basis that if a hat can somehow clone money upon receipt (or stuff more into the enemy's pockets out of nowhere) when the battle ends, who's to say it can't include recently acquired money in this duplication? Either way, its powers are sorta inexplicable.. So I don't think it doubling stolen cash is at all contrary to its open-ended "Picks up all possible GP" description.

still, i definitely think this is a worthy "fun fact" to know about the game mechanics.

#92 - known, see my Swordless Runic bugfix Readme, FAQ section (ZED mighta told me this one too)

-----------------

once again, kick ass work. i especially like how you continue to reveal Square's retardedness with tile activations. :) from this and your prior posts, i think the designers must've played a drinking game with mandatory shots on any mention of "Imperial Base".
Assassin

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:44 am

#14 -
If you're wondering, Square simply used a common game-making technique where you just have to hide an event away from the player's sight, which event is teleported just as soon as needed.

i don't understand what you mean by this sentence.
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:48 am

#3 - more or less already in the giant bugs topic, though it was slightly different in that it had Terra's friends running rather than everybody dying.

I don't see much similarity between the two besides the moment you can trigger them. For instance, the one from the Bugs topic's 100 times better than this one. :p

#10 - well-known, though generally not called a bug. what convinces you the passage wasn't intentional, and the makers just decided never to illustrate a small bridge that could never be seen? of course, i'd give you the benefit of the doubt over the makers. :)

Personal game-making experience. First, I already gave my theory on the matter in my main post as well as mention a small bug which results directly from this one. If there really were an invisible bridge in there, the programmers would've set some guard by it during Locke's scenario, unless you consider that to be true bug, which I don't.

#16 - sure it becomes impossible? in other circumstances like these, using a randomly targeting attack like Blitz or SwdTech will still hit such enemies. at any rate, no argument on its bughood.

Unless the order you kill them matters, Blitz and SwdTech didn't do anything. And yeah, I already knew about SwdTech and Blitz's side-effects (see #99).

#81 - known, think ZED told me. I argued against it being a bug on the basis that if a hat can somehow clone money upon receipt (or stuff more into the enemy's pockets out of nowhere) when the battle ends, who's to say it can't include recently acquired money in this duplication? Either way, its powers are sorta inexplicable.. So I don't think it doubling stolen cash is at all contrary to its open-ended "Picks up all possible GP" description.

Well, for one, I don't think the programmers would've let this one in if they had thought about it (not to say that they've never thought about anything in the first place). While it's an ok thing to pretend that some piece of equipment can help you gather more money from the enemies than you'd normally do, I'm not convinced, or, should I say, completely convinced of the opposite, that getting out of a battle with 131 070 GP, which is the game's limit, and this on the sole fact that you kept multiplying your own money which simply got stolen by the enemies, is acceptable. Else, you could just throw your money in the air, and you'd be rich.

#92 - known, see my Swordless Runic bugfix Readme, FAQ section (ZED mighta told me this one too)

I expected this much, but I just couldn't find any evidence of this in the Bugs guide/topic.

#14 -
i don't understand what you mean by this sentence.

The "event" I'm referring to in this case is the ghost and whatever results from talking to it. To put it simple, instead of keeping an invisible event by the entrance that would constantly check for a variable or a switch or whatever so that the event'd be given the "ghost"'s properties, they simply placed the fully-operative ghost far away from the entrance, and simply had it teleported in the black area below the entrance, having it take a step to the North after that. And these Teleport events I'm referring to are shown on that screenshot.

once again, kick ass work. i especially like how you continue to reveal Square's retardedness with tile activations. :) from this and your prior posts, i think the designers must've played a drinking game with mandatory shots on any mention of "Imperial Base".

Thanks. It's a sad thing to say, but I don't think we're anywhere close to finding all possible bugs in this game. Well, at least we just got ourselves 100 bugs closer to that goal.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:04 am

Boy! We all discovered our share of bugs in our time, but this is really something. An awesome read!

#84 Runicking as an Imp

Get into a battle where one of the enemies can cast Sour Mouth. Have Celes/Gogo Runic, then wait till Sour Mouth hits her/him. Now, cast a spell that can be runicked, and it'll do the following:

I knew this one, and didn't label it a bug. As far as I'm concerned, the Runic command makes the blade absorb magic, and all the wielder has to do to absorb a spell after that is holding it up. The non-Imp character made the blade capable, and from the Fight command we know that an Imp is fully capable of raising a sword.

Great work!
"The population in Iraq is over 80% Shi'ite. Couldn't the same be said about your music, Mr. Durst? "
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:21 am

First, I already gave my theory on the matter in my main post as well as mention a small bug which results directly from this one. If there really were an invisible bridge in there, the programmers would've set some guard by it during Locke's scenario, unless you consider that to be true bug, which I don't.

what do you mean by the italicized part?

and regarding:

Else, to a lesser extent, you can make it through without the guard's uniform. The latter also leads to another small bug: the merchant which has the Cider will attack Locke even if he's dressed as a merchant, and if you Steal the merchant's clothes, the "Locke wears new clothes" scene will occur regardless.

you can also meet the Cider guy as a merchant if you get the clothes from the green soldier in the NW corner of town, then fight and rob the merchant in the Inn.

i'll agree Locke needlessly changing clothes doesn't make much sense, but couldn't it just be attributed to him being a dumbass or an exhibitionist? :P or suffering from hypothermia, and seizing the need for extra layers whenever possible?

Well, for one, I don't think the programmers would've let this one in if they had thought about it (not to say that they've never thought about anything in the first place). While it's an ok thing to pretend that some piece of equipment can help you gather more money from the enemies than you'd normally do, I'm not convinced, or, should I say, completely convinced of the opposite, that getting out of a battle with 131 070 GP, which is the game's limit, and this on the sole fact that you kept multiplying your own money which simply got stolen by the enemies, is acceptable. Else, you could just throw your money in the air, and you'd be rich.

ok.. let's suppose the "correct" behavior for the Cat Hood is to double the enemies' GP supplies at the start of battle. how does it accomplish that feat? there is no real answer, as that's inexplicable. supernatural. doubling GP transferred to the party at the end of battle is no less explicable, imho, so it's really hard to favor one over the other.
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 am

I knew this one, and didn't label it a bug. As far as I'm concerned, the Runic command makes the blade absorb magic, and all the wielder has to do to absorb a spell after that is holding it up. The non-Imp character made the blade capable, and from the Fight command we know that an Imp is fully capable of raising a sword.

Great work!

To begin with, as an Imp, you normally can't to anything else than attack, use an item or cast Imp. But I'll get to the point immediately: look at that screenshot again; the sword's literally miles away from the Imp's hand.

And thanks.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:28 am

Actually, it's my understanding that in the Japanese culture, cats and money go hand in hand. I'm sure you're aware of the Maneki Neko figurine, Pokemon's Meowth goes bat-shit crazy for money, and I've always seen the Cat Hood as another example. In my eyes, she doesn't just magically double the amount of money but where all non-cats just pick up the plainly visible gold, the Cat Hood wearer won't rest until she has picked up every last bit of shiney.
"The population in Iraq is over 80% Shi'ite. Couldn't the same be said about your music, Mr. Durst? "
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:34 am

In response to Novalia:

Ah, but cannot an Imp cast Pearl through the Pearl Rod, or cast Fire 2 by breaking the Rod? That's because the magic is in the item, not the wielder/user/caster.

And is this picture shows you, Kappas Fight without touching their weapons either.
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:47 am

I'm sure you're aware of the Maneki Neko figurine,

yes, fondly.. as a child, i used to sleep with one under my pillow in the hopes that riches would befall my family. actually, i have no idea what the hell you're talking about. :P

you both are probably right on Cat Hood, but let me rebut it one step further:

let's say you enter battle versus an enemy that has 10000 "total" GP, 5000 of which are visible to non-feline-enhanced humans. that enemy steals 8000 GP from you. when you finish that battle (sans Cat Hood), you get 13000 GP.

so somehow, the enemy's original money is only 50% visible to humans, yet the stolen money is 100% visible? that's an odd discrepancy. unless the original money is shoved far up an orifice the creature can't reach during battle, in which case i'll go shudder in a corner for a couple hours.
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:48 am

what do you mean by the italicized part?

Sorry, I meant: "unless you consider this to be the true bug", which refers to the possibility that a bridge could exist, but that Square simply forgot to block access to it during Locke's scenario.

You can also meet the Cider guy as a merchant if you get the clothes from the green soldier in the NW corner of town, then fight and rob the merchant in the Inn.

Sounds to me like yet another thing they overlooked...

i'll agree Locke needlessly changing clothes doesn't make much sense, but couldn't it just be attributed to him being a dumbass or an exhibitionist? :P or suffering from hypothermia, and seizing the need for extra layers whenever possible?

The "exhibitionist" theory seems the most realistic one out of the bunch. But if I had to bet money on that, I'd say amnesia, without doubt.

ok.. let's suppose the "correct" behavior for the Cat Hood is to double the enemies' GP supplies at the start of battle. how does it accomplish that feat? there is no real answer, as that's inexplicable. supernatural. doubling GP transferred to the party at the end of battle is no less explicable, imho, so it's really hard to favor one over the other.

First of all, how is stolen GP handled exactly? Those are the only sorts of things I care about when it comes down to figuring stuff. For instance, is stolen GP and enemy GP stored into the same variable, or do they each have a a distinct variable? And what variable(s) does Cat Hood double exactly? If there's only one variable, then I remain convinced it is a bug. However, if 2 variables exist and if each of them get the boost from the Cat Hood, then I'm inclined to think like you. It still smells bad.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:57 am

just 1 variable. when the enemy steals GP, the function that handles it increases its "gold possessed" variable.
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:09 am

Ah, but cannot an Imp cast Pearl through the Pearl Rod, or cast Fire 2 by breaking the Rod? That's because the magic is in the item, not the wielder/user/caster.

Was that supposed to confirm or refute my allegations? Regardless, when you're an Imp, Runic is greyed out. The bug here is that it only stops you from selecting the command, yet nothing is done to cancel any previously taken action in a two-part deal. For example, if you kill the user, Runic (this also happens with Retort and Heat) still is in action, which is enough evidence to convince me.

And is this picture shows you, Kappas Fight without touching their weapons either.

Yeah, you got me on this one.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:16 am

Refute; I'm convinced the Kappa should be able to absorb the spells. Kappa's cannot do any special technique; the technique was the Runic command, and that's rightly greyed out. The effects of that command should still apply to the Imp, even if the Imp couldn't have done the initial command itself.

Also, I have to mention that all the Kutan screenshots absolutely slayed me :P I'm fast-forwarding through the game right now, as I have to see this for myself.
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:15 am

This is grand. We knew Locke had questionable ethics concerning sexuality, but this beats all :P

Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Imzogelmo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:45 am

Great stuff!

I don't have time to fully comment right now, but excellent job.

Looking forward to making lots of new bug fixes. :)

EDIT: Dibs on #22. :P
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Djibriel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:50 am

I just did a speed run through the game with Kutan, from start to the start of the WoR; I assume nothing surprising happens there as Celes/Kutan is never taken from your party or does anything interesting.

I wrote what you see below for my walkthrough. I'm not sure if it's going to feature the 1.1 release, as I would totally understand if NS felt that was too soon to go running with his discovery. Regardless, here's what I saw happening:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.7 Kutan?

Hardly a frequently asked question, I didn't know where else to stick it :\

Note that this entire section wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Novalia Spirit,
who really deserves a lot of credit for the discovery of this thing alone,
not to mention the over 100 bugs he found and the breaking down of the Mag
Roader puzzle.

Internet rumors speak of reviving Leo and/or acquiring Kappa the Imp. Reviving
Leo is impossible and Kappa is just an Imped character with the Kappa name and
a set of equipment you give to him. No, the only character that comes close to
somehow being the 15th character is Kutan, one of the minor Moogles who helped
you defend Terra! How is this possible? Read on.

You never really acquire Kutan at any point of the game. Rather, you allow the
game to reach for a character you were supposed to have but never did. In
Locke's, the trick is to leave South Figaro *without* saving Celes from her
terrible fate. Obviously, this isn't normally possible as you at the very least
need the Clock Key to continue, which you can't get until you release Celes.

But you don't have go that far. You know the 'scram, you blockhead' soldier
that was chasing Locke at the very beginning of the scenario and continued to
promptly forget about him? We have to pass him. We do this by exploiting a
poorly coded aspect of the game. We'll have to send both Locke and the trooper
at the same tile. If this succeeds, Locke passes *through* the trooper and is
free to leave South Figaro. Sadly, the game normally prevents this. However,
if you enter the menu screen, leave it and immediately try to possess the same
tile the trooper is going for, it'll work. It might fail a few times, but it
does work.

Now, the second part of the problem lies in Locke having to fight through the
Cave of Figaro by himself and defeating TunnelArmr by himself, a battle which
is scripted and was designed to require the Runic skill which you lack now.
You'll have to powerlevel if you want to make it through here, I'm afraid.

This is the first time Kutan will make a small appearance; it will be him who
will do the 'Something's coming outta the wall!!' line. During the battle, no
name will be shown when the Runic speech is given (Just you watch, etc.).

Back in Narshe, Locke will appear with a comrade, but it's not Celes; Kutan,
Moogle sprite and all, will appear and do everything Celes does. Do the
expressions, say the lines, etcetera.

KUTAN: I'm a soldier, not some love-starved twit!
EDGAR: Cold as ice......

While preparing for Kefka's Raid on Narshe, it turns out Kutan hasn't changed
a bit; his level hasn't risen, his equipment and Relics is still off-limits,
he still has a MithrilBlade and a Buckler and nothing else and he's in the same
state you left him. You can't take him to the Save Point; the character you're
controlling immediately resets back to Terra and Kutan enters the line of
characters again. In the line of characters, by the way, Kutan momentarily
changes his Moogle sprite for the Celes one.

After the battle, Kutan is normally choosable in your party, although he walks
around like Celes. Kutan doesn't appear in shop screens either. You can just
go on with the game until the Opera House; Kutan will change into Maria's opera
gown and get the normal opera Celes sprite. Also, his equipment will be removed,
which is bad as you can never get it back on. After that, he's given the normal
Celes sprite again. It's still Kutan though.

The story continues, and at the Imperial MagiTek Research Facility Kutan is
taken from you, not to be returned until you gain acces to the Floating
Continent. If you didn't bring him, he'll join you there to stop Gestahl. He
and Shadow fail, you make a run for it, kaboomchy, WoR.

Kutan wakes up in the WoR, from which points it's all Kutan until the end.

Ofcourse, Kutan is a consistenly poor character to fight with. He joins you in
the middle of the Narshe Raid at a very low level, his equipment consists out
of a MithrilBlade and a Buckler and cannot be changed until he Opera House from
which point he's entirely naked, he doesn't have any skills, he can't equip
Relics, he can't equip Espers and learn or use Magic and his stats are extremely
poor:

Vigor 16
Speed 14
Stamina 12
Magic Power 33
Battle Power 21
Defense 44
Magic Defense 29
MBlock 5
Evade 7
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:14 pm

#86 Pep Up not doing what it should

Note that while there's no out-of-doubt evidence confirming that what follows is a bug, I'm still pretty confident about it: Pep Up should've healed for an amount of HP and MP that would've equalled the target's MAX HP and MAX MP, not its current HP and its MAX MP. Pep Up disfavors the weak? You're kidding me, that's nonsense. That's not worth the banishing. And seeing how FF5's Pep Up (Fusion) fully replenishes HP and MP is enough evidence for me to be convinced about this one.

#87 Self-targetted Pep Up

If an enemy or a character uses Pep Up on itself/himself, just before the caster's gets banished, he'll recover one point of... something. I think it's either 0 HP turned into 1 HP, either 1 MP, which equals Pep Up's casting cost. Regardless, Pep Up's supposed to zero the caster's HP and MP. Yet, when self-targetted, the caster's MP's recovered completely.

if you're interested in the "why":

because there's only one "current damage" and one "current healing" word for each entity in battle, a move that wants to do both HP and MP refills resorts to manually refilling the target's MP, as opposed to doing it through the fractional damage function.

speaking of that function, it does damage or healing by (Spell Power/16) of the target's HP (or MP). normally, that's *current* HP/MP. should the command be Item (think Elixir, Megalixir) or the attack has the "Only hit the dead" property (think Life,etc), it uses *max* HP/MP instead. Pep Up probably should have been among these exceptions, but i can't think of an easy way to accomplish that without some ugly hardcoding.

afaik, the "1" you're seeing is for HP, and for the reason you described.

fwiw, RPGOne's retranslation has "Kill caster/Restore an ally's HP" for the description of "Fusion" (aka Pep Up), which supports your stance that the curHP nonsense is wrong.
Assassin

Postby Master ZED » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:16 pm

I ended up writing my thoughts in Notepad as I read this.

Link to this thread? I don't even link to my own thread. There's your answer on that. However, since you do have a website, throw this list on there and I'll link to it instead.

1. This will probably go under the first one I found (Start a new game with the wrong leader), but with a title change since they're probably all linked somehow.

2. Ehhh... this is one of those times where I want to say it's too small. But I'll probably list it anyway.

3 and 4. These sound like two more symptoms of the bug Radix reported about the scene triggering with runaway characters. Good thing I haven't even written it down yet... <_<

5. No problems with listing this.

6. Hmm... I didn't lump in all of the dead party bugs together because I only see the one right now. Perhaps I should since they're both event-related?

7. Sounds like the Opera scene bug. Another rewrite for multiple instances....

8. Getting into impractical bugs... should've thought of that myself. :D

10. This is three bugs theoretically, and while I don't want to see the merchant vs. merchant thing as a bug, I guess it is one considering the green guards have no use other than getting conversations out of soldiers, which seems more or less a waste of time. I don't want to say it's a bug since damn near everyone goes through the Cider fight as a merchant, and sadly I think this has actually saved us a thousand pages of "How do I get the Cider?" instead of like the two overall throughout the G'FAQs FF3 board's history.

11. We had heard of Leo walking through standstill people, and now this?...

You know, I happen to be in PERFECT position to test this on Anthology... I am SO going to enjoy this. And hell, if there is another use for it, I'll find it. >:D

Another effect of this is that Gogo shouldn't have Runic as a result.

13. o_O I know you can't have them here, but what about Smoke Bomb? And does the same thing happen with Sealed Gate Kefka?

15. Yeah, the dead party stuff is all going in one section. It's all tied to a lack of error checks in the event code I think.

16. Okay, I've had this idea myself and just never did it, so thanks for stealing it. (j/k) Are you sure of the impossibility, though? What if you do it as Rizopas appears?

17. Cool. Does Kappa's disappearance have anything to do with Sabin's position in the party?

18. Ehhhhhhhhhh... No. We're not listing this. I list this, I have to list Flash at Zozo, and I told Imzo that isn't happening. Pixels may be bugs, but no one in the grand scheme of things cares.

20. You'd think Hide status would prevent that. Oh well.

22. I was expecting another yaoi trap, but Gau's just shy I guess.

23. How'd you do that? This have something to do with 11?

26. Something funny coming from not doing as the programmers wanted? NO!

27. Another excerise in timing... I guess I shouldn't expect any less given that with this list, we may be threatening the 300 mark (I've gotta get my ass in gear, I think I'm gonna have to tape Adult Swim tonight...).

28. I want to say that's a part of the ceiling, but eh.

30. Now testing Smoke Bomb matters, especially Muddle/Smoke Bomb.

31. Huh. I would've expected a game freeze, but Square actually saw that one coming... and fixed it erroneously as one would expect. Shades of the impending disasters to come, I see.

32. That's not a bug. That glow indicates you lost the battle somehow, either through the timer or running away (dunno about actually dying). I've seen this during Smoke Bomb tests, and yes, Muddle/Smoke Bomb will win these battles. I haven't checked the event code, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in there.

34. You sure about this? Thamasa's not a friendly town until after you talk to Strago, perhaps this is just a false sign that the party senses they're not wanted and the hunt should continue. It's probably deliberate, I don't see how it couldn't be.

35. Heh, I've done this too, but sadly never thought to list it. :grumble, grumble:

36. I don't think this belongs in the guide, I think the script writer was just a dumbass. I don't list script errors anyway, else Anthology would need its own guide like Sketch.

37. Another Leo phasing bug... I'm beginning to think that whole refusal of Magic infusion is bullshit.

38. Should've listed this too, but eh. Whoever points it out gets the credit.

39. ...my mind is filling with the possibilities this could bring with a little emulator abuse... my GOD, I can't WAIT to pull this off.

Yeah, sure, I could just use FF3h... don't you ruin this for me assassin, what with your heathen DOS utilities...! :P

40. See, this is what time does to you, convincing you wrongdoings were right.

41. ...okay, Undetermined. While strange, I can't make up my mind on this.

42. Yet another I've grown to accept as normal. Agh. So much for thinking outside the box....

43. Script errors don't belong in the guide. Though I've always liked how messed up that line is.

47. The sound effect's probably the only error here.

49. I'm VERY curious as to whether Storm Drgn is alone in this bug.

52. I think you can read it beforehand as well... someone correct me on this.

59. Yeech... I'm starting to think these spells may be deserving of a section.

64. "FC 05 doesn't respond to Reflect damage" is what you're really getting at. I thought we had this already, but it's not in my to-do section, so I guess not.

66. I know I've said something about this somewhere, I found it at the same time as Muddle/Smoke Bomb... gah! assassin, help?

70. Well, it happens on the world map, so this isn't a surprise. We should get Yoshi to put this in the Blitz guide. ^_^

73. I saw this with Sabin and Condemned a long time ago, but could never replicate it. :\

83. Known. Strangely, this is already in the next Bugs guide update, but within another bug, not on its own.

86. This isn't a bug. It does fractional HP damage equal to 16/16 (or 1). The special effect code very deliberately skips to restoring MP to maximum where the code for max HP would be right before it. One other thing; we don't like using other games as a basis for what a spell should do.

It is listed a bit inaccurately in the Attack guide, so you got that much accomplished.

87. 1 HP. I'm guessing that Pep Up's effect is in the first part (caster-side), so by the time it gets to the damage calculation, the caster already has 0 HP. This may do as a visual bug (I'm not fond of the idea of listing this however), but algorithm-wise the 1 HP thing is exactly how it should play out.

88. Bandwidth exceeded by the time I got here.

91. IOW, another formation error. You can always do what the Cyan fanboys do and create a stall with two other characters so as to use Muddle/Cleave. :\

92. Dji beat you to it in my thread, though yeah, I'm pretty sure it came up in an AIM convo with assassin prior to that.

97. Caught this already messing with the other airship bugs you gave us before (the overworld garbage one). Eh. I *guess* I can give it to ya. ;)

98. Quick's bugs should make this a bit easier to perform, actually, by resetting his ATB gauge and stalling him a turn.

100: Already under "Rippler trades everything," as the Control/Magic chant is a normal status.

101: Hide status is left on. I was wondering if there was a way to do that.

102: Rehost. Definitely want to see this before bed.

103: I don't think they're connected, and given the number of times this appears, even as braindead as Square is, it's hard to believe this slipped by. It was right in their face, after all. I wouldn't use the dash bug to justify it either, that required a relic to see. :)

105: o_O

Keep in mind, I didn't edit many of these after first writing them.

EDIT: Confirmed the walk-through-NPC's bug on both versions of Anthology. Kutan should be available, I'll see about that tomorrow. I want to try something else and make some new additions to the bugs guide tonight.
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Postby Imzogelmo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:07 pm

ZED: Re #49, we did do some figuring with the math (Novalia gave me a sneak peek of this and a couple other bugs) in order to come up with hypothetical Speed + Bat. Speed + script combinations that would yield the same/similar results, but so far no other real game examples have been found. The reason for the bug is that the Storm Drgn's Speed and a Bat. Speed of 1 results in 508 intervals (incrementations on $BE) between turns for the dragon (and you assume that nothing else is done in the meantime), and when it chooses Battle from its list of 3 attacks, that and subsequent attack choices increase it by 4. Thus, the $BE (which is used to choose the number in the RNG) is increased by 512, which is the same index, since the random number table is 256 entries and it wraps. Random isn't random enough it seems.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to FF3 Gameplay Discussion