*tempted to pull a Fujin*

Talk about all aspects of the gameplay of Final Fantasy 3us/6j.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Postby Assassin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:32 am

Djibriel wrote:
the gibberish at the top of the guide hasn't been fixed, nor have the numerous gibberish apostrophes (Ctrl+H, brotha). nor has the URL to my webpage. nor has the deal about adding 13 to the Veldt group # (though understandable, as that post was very recent).

Apologies; this only shows up when opening the thing in WordPad, so when I changed some stuff in NotePad I figured I had solved the problem earlier.

and FireFOX / Opera.

what's boggling my mind is that if i save the file with those very browsers and then open it with them, the 3 gibberish characters at the top no longer appear, even though a hex editor says they're still there.

it seems that besides the apostrophes, you also have some alphabetical letters that appear normal in a browser but screw up in WordPad (e.g. the 'm' in "somebody who wants to have fun").

thus, the best way to convert it seems to be: save the file in IE (which gets rid of the leading gibberish and some other gibberish, but doesn't remedy the apostrophes), then Ctrl+H in an editor to fix the apostrophe instances.

then do all future updates in WordPad. :P

what was this composed in to start with, btw?
Assassin

Postby Assassin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:52 am

whoa, those 3 evil starting characters actually seem to be influencing the rest of the document. for instance, that "m" in "somebody" i mentioned looks perfectly normal in a hex editor, but WordPad is somehow tricked into replacing it with some Asian squibble. when i nulled the 3 starting bytes of the file in a hex editor, that problem went away.

also, if you right-click the link to save the file in Opera, it utterly chokes, and essentially saves the document *twice* in a single file.

after seeing how modern PC applications can be so easily bamboozled by a few non-standard characters, i've gained some newfound respect for the retards who programmed FF6. ;)
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:20 am

For some reason that goes unexplained, what follows was left out:

This is a Rage you can pick if you have 128 % Mblock or higher. Magus Rod (30), Force Shld (50), Bard's Hat (10), Force Armor (30) and you've reached 120. Gau is done by then, Gogo needs an extra White Cape to reach 131.

Naturally, Gogo has 6 MBlock%, so that makes 136.

Sadly Enuo is not protected against Petrify, so you might want to equip a Fairy Ring for Delta hit.

That's a Jewel Ring. It'd be great if Safety Bit were listed as well.

Enemy: Laser Gun
Status ailment weaknesses: None

Enemy: MissileBay

Enemy: Speck

All of them are weak to Slow and Stop.

50 % damage : None

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't believe the enemies can cut elemental damage in half. Regardless, none of the enemies have anything listed in that category, so it's one pretty useless feature.

Code: Select all

Let's take a look at Gau's options without the Merit Award:

Without:           With:

Fists         0%   Illumina     50%
Force Shld   50%   Force Shld   50%
Bard's Hat   10%   Bard's Hat   10%
Snow Muffler 10%   Force Armor  30%
White Cape   10%   White Cape   10%
White Cape   10%   Zephyr Cape  10%
Gau          18%   Gau          18% 

Total:      108%   Total:      178%[

If Gau's wearing a Merit Award, he obviously can't equip two capes. Regardless, it looks weird to have a Zephyr Cape among 3 White Capes.

Also,
Djibriel wrote:Would you mind if I used some info from your Flare Star document? You'll get props for it obviously, and I won't even be using the whole thing as I'd just like to point one so of the best ones (I specifically liked the deployment of Io versus Strom Drgn).

Since you uploaded your guide before even asking, I don't really have to reply to that. BUT... I don't mind at all. However, you left the pluses in, yet didn't say what they meant. You should fix that.

The only monsters you'll find here are L. 50 Magic, L. 90 Magic and Magic Urn.

I don't understand why only the "L.90 Magic" made the cut. You have a 100% probability of meeting Magic Urns within the Air Anchor room...

Go to the triangle-shaped island, but only if you have the Rhodox Rage. If so, execute it as soon as you encounter an Intangir. If you do anything else, Intangir will kill you using death, so try to avoid that.

As I've said before, Intangir won't do anything if you don't attack him, so fleeing is the best advice one could get in an Else case.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Assassin, already half exasperated wrote:you still haven't fixed the Rage and Run for final Kefka. as mentioned in a January [2005] email, you want to attack when bit 0 of variable 0 is set, or as soon as you see his "inspirational" message. so this sentence:

In short, you're safe as long as you attack while Kefka is casting 'normal' spells and run when Kefka is charging for Goner/just tried to use it.

should be flipped.

Djibriel, lyyyying through his teeth wrote:Done.

so what does he do? he leaves that sentence be, despite me mentioning it and only it verbatim, and flips this one:

Kefka will only counter when bit 0 of variable 0 is cleared.

to

Kefka will only counter when bit 0 of variable 0 is set.

!
well-played, motherfucker, well-played. :roll:

obviously, if i'm advising YOU to attack when Bit 0 is set:

yes, that's me talking wrote:you want to attack when bit 0 of variable 0 is set

, that means Kefka certainly isn't countering when it's set.

after fixing this, how's about you paste your updated Kefka passage in its entirety here, i OK it, _then_ you upload that -- without making any "creative" last-minute changes? :P
Assassin

Postby Assassin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 pm

alas, i still see:

assassin17/comcast.net

the day i have the power to get my own domain and to forgo TLDs entirely is the day i don't bother (re)contributing corrections to a guide for some ancient game.
Assassin

Postby Novalia Spirit » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:03 am

Ninja: You could encounter it together with two Wirey Drgn monsters, kill the Ninja, then run.

This formation doesn't exist. The formation in question is the Ninja x2 + Wirey Drgn one.
Novalia Spirit
Regular User
Regular User

Re: *tempted to pull a Fujin*

Postby Assassin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:56 pm

(Section 12.2:)
Code: Select all
Gigantos     Magnitude8   Safe                       
             absorbs Earth, weak against Poison

it doesn't absorb Earth. accordingly, the latter part of this comment:

HadesGigas is a very nice Rage with an
extremely powerful attack, but is to Gigantos what Anguiform is to Chimera:
much more famous due to chronological advantage yet inferior in the long run.

might also need amending. why am i thinking that i provided this misinformation (i.e. Gigantos being a clear-cut "upgrade" over HadesGigas) way back when?

Gigantos does have Sleep and Muddled protection, but its superiority/inferiority to HadesGigas is situational. fortunately, Magnitude8 doesn't target the casting party, so it's not one of them kamikaze-without-proper-preparation Rages.
Assassin

Postby Assassin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:19 am

belated reply to late March update:

1) nothing in this post has been addressed:
viewtopic.php?p=2633#p2633

2) wow, a lot in Section 10 saw the chopping block. particularly of note:

- no more Ice 2 in WoB to round out the Big-3 elementals.
- no more WoB healing or draining Rages, Quake aside.

can i hear your reasoning on these?

3) the Quick Lists in Section 10 were nice, albeit not vital; not seeing the advantage of removing them.
Assassin

Postby Djibriel » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 am

@ 1)

I'm already pre-bored from testing it further. You are right of course; it would benefit the document if I researched it. But it would bring me no joy. It is also the main reason I can't be bothered to translate the Rage Guide for the newer consoles. I might still do it one day. But I probably won't.

@ 2)

No relevant encouners in the WoB is weak to Ice. Dark Side is Undead, which comes with important drawbacks. SlamDancer, if collected, will likely be collected post-IMRF because between Zozo and the IMRF is lots of backtracking and Veldt hunting which might as well net you Anguiform, Aspik and HadesGigas. There's the Ifrit/Shiva fight where SlamDancer could be a good pick, but it messes with Runic and heals Shiva. After IMRF, Cave of the Sealed Gate houses two enemies weak to Ice, but Chimera and Anguiform are better. After the Sealed Gate, it's no Gau until Floating Continent, where only Behemoths are weak, which are better dispatched with Doom and Break spells. Simply put, I can't think of fights where, provided with a decent Rage collection, an Ice 2 Rage is the best one you got.

I found i never used the healing/draining Rages because healing is much, much better when focused. The only good Rage healing IMO is Pearl Wind because WoR Gau'll likely have good HP throughout the fight and he'll always target everybody.

@ 3)

One of the things that irritated me in the old guide was that, especially in section 10, it felt like I repeated myself or split information that would work better put together. I think I figured the quick lists where another unnecessary layer. Who would miss such a list? What purpose would it serve that is not fullfilled by the Best Rages chapters as they are now?
"The population in Iraq is over 80% Shi'ite. Couldn't the same be said about your music, Mr. Durst? "
Djibriel
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:23 pm

1) a shame. if i double checked SNES behavior sometime down the road, would you be averse to pasting something i typed up?

2)
SlamDancer, if collected, will likely be collected post-IMRF because between Zozo and the IMRF is lots of backtracking and Veldt hunting which might as well net you Anguiform, Aspik and HadesGigas.

i'm not following this sentence. if you get the other 3 between Zozo and IMRF (your Rage guide does recommend Aspik and later-met Mind Candy against Number 024, and Anguiform and HadesGigas on the Cranes), why would you NOT pick up SlamDancer then as well? your walkthrough recommends it as a possibility against Vermin, though i realize fighting rats isn't covered in the Rage Guide.

(aside: have you considered adding urgent -- e.g. timed or Banon-protecting -- non-boss battles to the guide? or is it a slippery slope? guess i've wanted to show off Marshal and Trilium in the Narshe snowfields.)

anyway, your larger point about there not being many good timely targets for Ice 2 is received.

3) not much, as i've admitted. Perhaps messageboard posts in "What are the best Rages?" topics. Now copy+paste actually requires work. :/
Assassin

Previous

Return to FF3 Gameplay Discussion