Dispel removing Slow and Stop

Talk about all aspects of the gameplay of Final Fantasy 3us/6j.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Dispel removing Slow and Stop

Postby Assassin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 am

any idea what reasoning Square would have in doing this? generally, Dispel removes statuses which are beneficial, or a mixed bag (i.e. Berserk). but Slow and Stop are decidedly negative statuses (yes, i'm sure there are a few situations where they can help you, but that's getting a bit contrived).

what i noticed they have in common is that they're both in Status Byte 3. so maybe Square copied over Remedy's stats to Dispel, unchecked the boxes in Status Bytes 1, 2, and 4 using FF3usME Alpha, but then forgot to do so with #3?

but it looks like it could be a deliberate nod to FF5. EDIT: but a difference is that FF5's Heal, in contrast with its FF6 counterpart Remedy, doesn't remove Slow and Stop.
Assassin

Re: Dispel removing Slow and Stop

Postby Master ZED » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Maybe Remedy is the spell with the erroneous stats? That would admittedly be very strange, though still something to consider since you brought up the spell's predecessor not possessing the same powers. Also, I think either the instruction booklet or the NP guide specifically suggest Dispel for curing those statuses? :\

My 12YO mind came to the conclusion back in '94 that Dispel specialized in breaking colored aura-inducing status, something Slow and Stop share with other statuses in that byte. I doubt it helps, I just happened to remember that. :P
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Re: Dispel removing Slow and Stop

Postby Assassin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am

thanks for the reply.

*looks* yup, the instruction booklet does recommend it for Stop.

Deathlike2 had the same conclusion about the glowing statuses, when i posted this question on the main Slick Productions site. still, it's good to see you posting again.
Assassin

Return to FF3 Gameplay Discussion