Will the Awesome Coding for Pandora's Box Ever Be Shared?

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Will the Awesome Coding for Pandora's Box Ever Be Shared?

Postby Gogo13 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 am

Hi all,

I noticed Brave New World's esper level up system and was terribly sick at the thought that something so great will never be shared with the community. This immediately made me wonder the same for Pandora's Box--I assume no one is planning on sharing the awesome code changes to that game? What immediately came to mind was the stealing and the sword that drained hp all the time.

I of course felt lucky to get anything done in my version at all (as I was almost completely dependent on this forum) and I was more than excited to share anything I could figure out (changing Mog's dances, Terra's morph, haste/slow speeds, safe/shell power, etc.). Sometimes I wonder if this is the difference between a person who can learn to code fairly quickly and someone who can't, though that's probably unrelated.
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Will the Awesome Coding for Pandora's Box Ever Be Shared?

Postby Lenophis » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:10 am

Since I was the insanity behind the new stealing engine, I think I can make the decision of whether or not to release it before PB's release. Right now in its current form it wouldn't work as a patch, and considering vanilla's lack of free space in C2 it may not be releasable without some crazy optimization/overhaul/relocation. Add in the extra space for a new stealing table, which I'm not 100% sure where to locate yet, but my first inclination would be C0 since it has enough space free.

The PB steal engine is currently 397 bytes in size, compared to the original engine which is 158 bytes. Now, there are a few PB-exclusive things I can remove, which would cut the size down a little, but likely not enough to fit in the vanilla rom.

Does C2 even have 397 bytes of free space to begin with? :lol:
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gogo13 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Ah, what madness!
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby TheNattak » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 pm

A standalone patch or asm file for the Music Player someday would be most appreciated and welcomed! :P
TheNattak

Postby Imzogelmo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:19 pm

@Lenophis: I don't think it would be too hard to put code in a less-used bank and do some long jumping. That may be a good way to handle it in vanilla FF6.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Lenophis » Tue May 03, 2016 12:36 am

I do think a lot of the code could just be dropped into C0 and work, but there's a lot of safety stuff I have implemented that relies on C2 calls (I think?) and I'm not sure how much of that I'll have to eat up in long calls back to C2 or just implementing it into the other bank. The long jumps to C1 I think would be fine anywhere.

Also, bacon.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Imzogelmo » Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 am

If you are suggesting we use 'bacon' as our flavor of FF6 (in contrast with vanilla), then I accept!

And on a serious note; do we have the stomach for a massive shift or re-arranging of spell animation scripts? Assuming I can inject the 2 bytes into each of the needed animations, and fix the actual imp-graphic switching command, that could be a massive fix...

We probably just need to make a whole assembly file of that bank so it can be re-injected more easily.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation