FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Re: FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

Postby Gogo13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

More items: I've asked this recently, and it's possible to get new item slots, but so much work no one is going to.

Animation Editor: There is another editor, the Misc. Editor, which does this. It's pretty awesome. The hard part is finding palette schemes, which is trial and error as far as I know.

Here are the palettes I've noted so far:

E2 = maroonish and black
55 = Bio green
68 = poison green
54 = Dull grey
56 = Brilliant blue
79 = Dark blue and Black
36 = White and Dark blue
53 = Dark Reddish and black (very cool and sinister)
AE = Duller red and black
52 = Light Blue
78 = Light Blue and White
50 (5D?) = Light Blue and White
51 = Goldish (& White?)
67 = Purple and Black
49 = Magenta
CC = Orange (Bababreath)

Protip: You can use both editors at the same time, you just can't save FF3usME while MiscEditor is open, so save the latter first and close it whenever you're about to switch to FF3usME.

Also this is completely unrelated, but I might finish my first version of my Edit today. Soooo excited.
Thanks LordJ and Leno and everyone else for the help so far.

Have Fun!
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Inccubus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Here's something odd. the program works fine on my desktop without any errors.
However, on my laptop after I swap some spell graphics around and save the ROM won't load in ZSNES at all.
It's wierd because both systems have the same OS and I installed the dll's, etc.
Inccubus

Postby LordJ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm

@Leno: FWF & new renamer: a new version of the FWF renamer is definitely needed, I'll probably do this during V6.8 dev.
@Imzo: Shop list: I'll send a PM to Drakkhen to ask him if I can use the list he made for FF6MDE
@Imzo: next ideas: for V6.8 I would like to implement: an event script editor, enhance the Animation Editor, add compressed/uncompressed GFX banks to the tile editor, any other suggestions are welcomed
@PurplePoison: more slots for items: not planned at the moment, considering all the assembly work required
@PurplePoison: their are 93 animation structs for weapons and the following 35 are used for monster battle animations, the following 128 are mapped to unrelated data, so if you are mapping item #92 or above as a weapon, chances are you're going to get strange results
@Inccubus: did you d/l individual DLLs or installed the redistribuables from MS? (as linked in my previous post), or more likely, are you using a header-less ROM?

I would like to point out the following bugs for beta 3:
Code: Select all
* saving header-less ROMs will lead to data corruption as a section of the Battle Editor data gets saved 0x200 bytes later, better stick to FF3usME V6.6 or wait for V6.7 final for header-less ROM editing
* battle statuses in the Misc tab of the Battle Editor doesn't get saved
* if you edit a palette beyond index #239 in the Item/Weapon Anim. tab of the Battle Editor, battle statuses gets corrupted
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Inccubus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 am

LordJ wrote:@Inccubus: did you d/l individual DLLs or installed the redistribuables from MS? (as linked in my previous post), or more likely, are you using a header-less ROM?

I'm not sure, I'll double check and post back.
Inccubus

Postby Imzogelmo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 am

@LordJ:
If you get all those things in, it might as well skip to V7.0 (or beyond). I'd gladly contribute any info that I have to that end, when that time comes. You will almost surely want to have some way to move the entire block in either event. That itself is fairly trivial--Leno and I have found the load up addresses for event scripts, which would all need to be changed in a consistent way if the event script were moved. As for the animation scripts, I'm not sure if all the loadups are known, but I'd be willing to bet that you could count those on one hand. The difficulty with those is the huge number of unknowns (very few commands are even known, less than 5%, I'd say).

Short version: Event scripts and animation scripts would be a huge boon, but given their locations, moving them would be a must. Building in the block-moving--that's the first step, and it's easy to do.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LordJ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 am

After some eight months of beta cycle, final version of 6.7 is out.

Here are the differences from beta 3:
Code: Select all
* Battle Editor: fixed an issue where Battle Command #31 would always be saved as "Empty" (thanks Zeemis)
* Battle Editor: fixed an issue where saving header-less carts would end up in the wrong location
* Item Editor: fixed an issue where over allocating spell animation palettes would end up voiding Item Type renaming
* Gfx Editor: added the following accelerator for some of the editors: CTRL+'C' (copy tile), CTRL+'V' (paste tile), CTRL+'E' (draw mode), CTRL+'D' (dropper mode), CTRL+'F' (fill mode)
* Gfx Editor: fixed and issue where pressing tab or alt would make the palette turn into a button
* Gfx Editor: fixed and issue with the sprite sheet walking sprite having 3rd frame lower tiles inverted
* Gfx Editor: fixed sprite #90's (letter), #162 (3 Godesses) and #163 (Terra's hair) animation sheets
* Battle Editor: fixed and issue where pressing tab or alt would make the palette turn into a button
* UI: fixed transparency issue with toolbar grip
* Monster Editor: added special attack descriptions above index 42 (thanks Poco Loco)
* Renamers: replaced filler byte $7F with $FF in the following renamers: Monster Special Attack, Sw Tech real name, In-Battle Esper
* Renamers: 'Cancel' command now works in the following renamers: Monster Special Attack, Sw Tech real name, In-Battle Esper, Item Descr., Spell, Esper, Lore, Blitz, Sw. Tech, In-Battle Lore, Rare Item desc.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby DjinnAndTonic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 am

Awesome work. The new version is amazing! It's really made my day month!

I noticed a small display error on the sprite editor. For the large sprite sheets after character 15 until character 21, there is an incorrectly displayed tile on the 'looking down' sprite animation, right after tiles 90/91. It displays tiles 22-21 for the lower portion of the sprite, when it should display tiles 22-23. It does NOT seem to affect how the sprite appears in-game or on exported PNGs, but it might confuse some people and I assume it's an easy fix. I'm not sure why it's only characters 16-21, though.
Last edited by Assassin on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: from Assassin: no changes to post, just resubmitted it after adding a strike-through tag to BBCode.
DjinnAndTonic
Active User
Active User

Postby CDTalmas » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:25 pm

The new one does indeed work amazingly. So many things before that I didn't really think possible (at least do simply) but are now... Well, I'm sure you get the idea. I know this is through no fault of your own, but the RPGOne Translation has issues with the program (namely, the ff6j ROM that I have; it works whilst in Japanese but not once the translation patch is applied). First, it removes access to the Dialog page. The names of the weapons and such are nothing but garbage characters. I get the feeling that changing the font might help in the matter, but I can't be certain.
CDTalmas

Postby Imzogelmo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 am

They probably moved the dialogue to another place in the ROM, so that would cause the program not to read it.
Imzogelmo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DjinnAndTonic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:05 am

Hmm... it looks like any ROM edited with the previous version's Dialog Editor is now marked as having "Hand-edited Pointers" and can't utilize the current version of FF3usME's Dialog Editor. Am I the only one having this issue?
DjinnAndTonic
Active User
Active User

Postby TimeSpaceMage » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah, I've seen that several times when upgrading versions. I had to re-copy a lot of data by hand each time, most of which being name changes in the Monster and Item Editors.
TimeSpaceMage

Postby Warrax » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I haven't got this error and I started using the Dialog Editor in 6.6 which was the first version with that editor. Maybe you guys used the evil FF3ED on your rom? because it will corrupt your rom and will prevent you to use parts of FF3usME iirc. If when loading your rom into FF3usME there is "FF3edit Dialog" in "Patch already applied" under "Rom information", this is could be why but I'm not 100% sure.
Warrax
Active User
Active User

Postby LordJ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:01 am

I've run a quick test and no signs of corruption on my end with 6.7.

@DjinnAndTonic: if you're willing to PM an IPS patch of your corrupted work (no puns intended), I'll take a look at it in debug mode. I may even be able to repair the pointer(s).

If you suspect that the ME, FF3Ed or any other editor will again corrupt the script (and yes, Warrax you are right about FF3Ed mistreating pointers), then I would suggest that you use the "export" and "import" functions in the ME as a backup system.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby DaveSW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 pm

First, I gotta say that FF3usME is amazing.
Second, as for feedback, a search function for finding specific monsters/items/spells etc. would be extremely handy. Also, updating the descriptions of what certain effects do, like the ??? for Stunner should say 'Ignores Cant be dodged for status', for example.

Oh, just a thought, but having the option to add some of the more important patch fixes, like the Evade bug, Sketch glitch, etc. would be quite nice too.

Again, FF3usME is awesome, I just wish I had the technical know how to actually contribute to it.

Edit: I found bug in the battle script section. Not really major, but if I click on hex insert and type in FF, after I get the message that I cant insert that, if I double click another line of script, it will create a second 'End first wave of attack' line, which of course, cant be deleted. Again, not really a big deal unless someone accidentally double types a lot.
DaveSW

Postby Gogo13 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:48 am

Nothing serious yet, but I expanded my ROM to 28 Mbit, applied the more monster AI patch, made some small additions to AI, an item name change, and some changes to monster stats. The next day when I open the ROM with FF3usME instead of saying Cart Size 28 Mbit, its says ?? Mbit. Do you think it's safe to keep making changes on this version?

Also I just wanted to say that the moment I saw FF3usME, that's when I knew I had to edit this game.

Thanks,
Gogo13
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Warrax » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Humm that's weird, the rom is supposed to be 32mbit after the expansion process, maybe that's why you have issues? ROMs are usually 24 or 32mbit, not 28, so something is really weird.
Warrax
Active User
Active User

Postby Master ZED » Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 am

Warrax wrote:Humm that's weird, the rom is supposed to be 32mbit after the expansion process, maybe that's why you have issues? ROMs are usually 24 or 32mbit, not 28, so something is really weird.

No, 3.5 MB works just fine. Some of my hacks do that, actually (I can't remember an FF6 hack that does it off the top of my head, but my controllable boss hack for MK2 does this).
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Postby LordJ » Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 pm

@DaveSW: Indeed a search/sort filter would be useful, this as been asked in the past, I'll take a look at how I could deal with this in the program. For the ???, keep sending 'em this way, it's really easy to fix. For the patches, unlikely. Maybe I'll implement something like "use IPS file" one of these days. As for the FF bug in the Battle Script Editor, I've reproduced it and added it to the TODO list.

@Gogo13: I've tried the 28Mbit expansion with a headered and with a header-less file. Not been able to reproduce the bug. How many bytes is the size of the file (the number in parenthesis when right clicking then properties in Windows Explorer)?

@Warrax: The file un-expanded is 24Mbit. The expansion menu offers 28Mbit or 32Mbit. Makes you save a few bytes if your going to just expand basic stuff.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Rainflush » Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 pm

The new version looks wonderful, though unfortunately I'm unable to run it. Is there any chance you can enable support for Windows 2000? If not I suppose I'll have to upgrade.

As for suggestions, being able to edit Umaro's Charge and Toss attacks would be nice (as the damage is excessive if you're trying to keep the numbers down), as would being able to adjust the chance of performing Desperation Attacks. Also, I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not though if there was some way to wrap the item descriptor text to prevent it from overlapping that would be great as well. That's all I can really think of right now.

In any case, great work Lord J.
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Lenophis » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 pm

That routine doesn't exist in C3, so it would have to be coded from scratch. Have fun with that. =\
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation