FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Re: FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

Postby LordJ » Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 pm

For compatibility, the minimum system requirement should be WinXP SP2 with the latest MFC runtimes (there is a link on my web site).

I haven't access to a Win2k computer, so I don't know where the thing hangs and if it is fixable at all :(.

As for the Item Description, the window preview's metrics should be very much like in the real game, they have been guestimated. Unlike the Dialog Editor, though, the wrapping must be done manually by using the Enter key (item #225 for instance).
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Gogo13 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 am

Rainflush, like LordJ said, using enter to start a new description line is great for items, especially now that the new version has the realistic window space viewable.

Also Rainflush, I've just learned how to edit desperation attacks and will post a new topic for you.

Lord J:

Expanded 28 MBit: Size - 3,604,992 bytes

Original ROM: Size - 3,146,240 bytes Checksum - C0FA0404
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Master ZED » Sat May 07, 2011 2:23 am

Gogo13 wrote:Expanded 28 MBit: Size - 3,604,992 bytes

Expand to 3,670,528 bytes. You're short by 10000h.
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Postby Rainflush » Sat May 07, 2011 2:47 am

Hm, I guess I'll have to upgrade my OS...more or less solely to try out the new version of FF3usME :>

Thanks for your help guys!
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Gogo13 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 am

I can't expand it anymore, the buttons are grayed out. I appreciate the replies, though.
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Master ZED » Sat May 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Gogo13 wrote:I can't expand it anymore, the buttons are grayed out. I appreciate the replies, though.

Do manual expansion in a hex editor by tacking data to the end of the ROM. I just c/p a bunch of null values until I get or go over the size I want, and then cut the extraneous bytes.
The Unoriginal White Sheet - http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/
-Master ZED
Master ZED

Postby Gogo13 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 am

Does anyone know how dialogue would be affected by expanding the ROM to 28 MB and then applying the Battle Script expansion? I'm thinking maybe my 1.1 ROM had dialogue related code there, or maybe the expansion rearranged some of that code to expand? No one knows much about 1.1, right?

Also, something is very fishy because as said earlier, it didn't expand fully. Would you all recommend I just start from a prior version instead of try to fix this jacked up one?
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby LordJ » Mon May 30, 2011 3:28 am

Like Zed said, you'd best pad the missing byte with an hex editor and then look out for anything suspicious (garbled text, corrupted battle scripts, ...).

How FF3usME handles dialogs and battle scripts is the same for 1.0 and 1.1, except maybe the location of pointers required by some subroutines.

Did you CTRL-ALT-DEL and ended the program while expanding? I know that under Win7, the expansion process can take quite a while, making it look like the program froze.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Gogo13 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 am

I tried adding the hex, and that enabled the FF3usME to see how big the ROM was, and also I could manage the expanded ROM again, but the dialogue was still corrupted, which happened only after I expanded. There were so many hex differences when comparing ROMs that I've decided to remake from a prior unexpanded version. I can't remember if anything wierd happened when I tried to expand, but I've taken a prior version and expanded that and another wierd thing happened. I expanded it to 32 MB, and the SRM save file load screen had bad sprites for the characters, and when I began the game, the m-tek battle functions would not carry out, essentially freezing the game. I took the same ROM version and expanded again three more times, and everything seems fine.
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Lenophis » Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Gogo13 wrote:I expanded it to 32 MB, and the SRM save file load screen had bad sprites for the characters, and when I began the game, the m-tek battle functions would not carry out, essentially freezing the game.

You didn't do it right then. If you expanded it properly, then the game should appear to not have changed at all. The expansion goes to the end of the rom, and nowhere else.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gogo13 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate the quick advice. Because I had good documentation and was smart enough to expand the ROM only after I changed as much as possible (even though everyone said it was safe), I ended up with a very recent backup. Coupled with great change documentation, it only took a morning to fix everything back again, and the ROM is expanding and working fine.
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby DjinnAndTonic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 am

LordJ wrote:I've run a quick test and no signs of corruption on my end with 6.7.
@DjinnAndTonic: if you're willing to PM an IPS patch of your corrupted work (no puns intended), I'll take a look at it in debug mode. I may even be able to repair the pointer(s).

If you suspect that the ME, FF3Ed or any other editor will again corrupt the script (and yes, Warrax you are right about FF3Ed mistreating pointers), then I would suggest that you use the "export" and "import" functions in the ME as a backup system.

Just saw this. I appreciate the offer, but thanks to your awesome implementation of export and import since version 6.6, I had already made the suggested backups and re-imported a clean FF6 script into the corrupted file, then copy/pasted my own dialog script using a normal word processor into the format and re-imported it with 6.7's Dialog editor. I can still send you an IPS of the broken file if you're interested, but considering how easy it was to fix, it's probably not an issue.
DjinnAndTonic
Active User
Active User

Postby Assassin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 am

TODO in 6.7 Readme file wrote:* Dance Editor: add the "stumble data" that was sent to me a few years ago, got to find this in my archive...

by this, do you mean which Dances are native to which backgrounds?

see here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200502100952 ... ap_ff6.txt

file offsets 2D905B - 2D909A.
Assassin

Postby LordJ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Cool thanks, that sounds about right. This, along with the data located at ED/8E5B, will do the trick.

For people tuning in, I've "stumbled" on this topic, where the discussion seems to be about randomizing the attack, after validating the Dance command.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Assassin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 pm

me wrote:file offsets 2D905B - 2D909A.[/quote[
LordJ wrote:Cool thanks, that sounds about right. This, along with the data located at ED/8E5B, will do the trick.

well, they're one in the same. :P

-------------------

random feedback:

1) when you go into "Zoning" under the Monster Formations Editor, and you change formations by selecting a new radio button (World of balance, World of ruin, Others) as opposed to using the Index entry, all 4 Encounter rates will show up blank (after appearing for a tiny fraction of a second). i think this issue is new to v6.7.

2) under the "Reg. Items (adv.)" editor, there's a "?" listed between "Raise steal rate" and "Raise sketch rate" for "Special 2". i'd recommend changing this to "Unused + Reserved for Earrings calc." or something similar. while this bit isn't used by ROM data for any items, it is used in the RAM byte ($3C45) that corresponds to the ROM byte, where it winds up meaning "Single Earring".

enabling it in ROM will give the character the effect of a single Earring. if both it and the "Raise magic damage" flag in "Bonus checks" are enabled (whether that be in a single Relic, or spread across multiple pieces of gear), it may or may not give the character a Double Earring boost. (it depends on which order the relevant equipment is checked in, with the game starting at the last relic slot, and looping backwards.)

long story short is the bit is not unknown, and is used in RAM data which can be affected by the ROM data. so "Reserved" is more accurate. now, most FF3usME users would probably steer clear of "?" fields in the first place, but the info could be helpful to hackers who otherwise think they have an unused bit to tinker with.

3) whatever happened to the actual Readme file? you last had one in Version 6.2, containing both a changelog and actual instructions. since then, the .TXT file has only been a changelog. now, the utility is pretty self-explanatory and doesn't need instructions much, but their disappearance is a bit mystifying.

4) i used a clean FF3us v1.0 ROM, opened the editor, and changed one byte: Hex Value #2 for wagering Dirk under the Colosseum Betting System Editor. when i compared the altered ROM to an original one, not only was that byte changed, but 20,000+ other bytes were! weird.
Assassin

Postby LordJ » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 am

Ahh yes! Good news, one thing less to implement :)

1) the data gets reseted when using the radio button... nasty. It is true that most of the control for combo boxes has changed in 6.7.
2) got it, always glad to remove these question marks
3) I got lazy and I had the feeling that no one was using the former readme, becoming quite heavy. A .hlp / .chm or a wiki would be more practical nowadays. I'm just thinking aloud.
4) The WoB and WoR data and tile sets gets manipulated. When I read the ROM, I get the pointers and then the data pointed by them in a generic structure. The unmodified game has the data organized in the following order:
    2ED634: Compressed data: WoB data
    2F134F: Compressed data: WoB tiles
    2F4C46: Compressed data: WoR tiles
    2F6C56: Compressed data: WoR data

Now, when the games gets saved, the data gets written first, then the pointers. I remember being in an organizing mood at some point 'cause the sections are saved sequentially for both worlds: data then tiles
    2ED634: Compressed data: WoB data
    2F134F: Compressed data: WoB tiles
    2F4C46: Compressed data: WoR data
    2F6C56: Compressed data: WoR tiles
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby PocoLoco19 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 am

I came across a bit of a bug when it came to editing dialog, the program crashes everytime I try to edit dialog for the specific rom

well long story short, my crappy laptop crapped out on me when I was editing dialog and the rom where I was editing the dialog isnt able to edit dialog anymore, it still works on other roms, I made a patch and tried to see if it would work n had the same problem

so am I pretty much screwed n need to start over?
Oooooooo Nooooo Not-A-Finwrand!
PocoLoco19

Postby Lenophis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 pm

You seriously need to not type like a 3-year old, but yes, it seems like you're screwed. No idea why or how it happened. Perhaps if you filled us in on what you were doing...?
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PocoLoco19 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I was editing dialog, and my computer shut down on me, blue screen

then after that when I try to edit dialog on that rom, usme closes

it works fine with every other rom and it even does everything else with the messed up rom

but when it comes to dialog, usme just crashes
Oooooooo Nooooo Not-A-Finwrand!
PocoLoco19

Postby LordJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 am

If you're willing, send me an IPS of your file. I'll see with the debuger where it hangs (the pointers are probably mangled) and I'll see if I can salvage part of the dialog.

And here is the naggy part of the post: backups are always a good thing. Also, this can be automated while keeping a small footprint on your HDD, a command line IPS utility could do such a thing. Eg, a batch file can make the IPS backup first (time stamped within the file name) and then run FF3usME.

The Export function in FF3usME may also come in handy. Especially when big sections like Battle Script are finished and lots of hours still need to be put elsewhere (Formations, ...).
LordJ
Active User
Active User

PreviousNext

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation