FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Re: FF3usME 6.7 beta cycle

Postby Assassin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 am

some more suggestions:

1) under the Reg. Items (adv.) editor, for normal items, under Attributes:

a. "Max out" isn't really accurate, as you can see for Fenix Down and Revivify, which have it checked, but don't max anything. rather, it just does fractional damage/healing, where the fraction is (item_power/16). so it's like the "factor=(power*100/16)%" property you have labelled on the spell editor.
b. "Affects MP" should be "Heals MP", since checking this causes the game to set both the "healing" and "concern MP" flags internally.
c. "Affects HP" should be "Heals HP". (see Super Ball for an example of an item that affects HP, by damaging it, without this box being checked.)

2) if you're going to have all that unused space on the Reg. Items (adv.) tab, might as well widen the boxes, so that "Condemned" and "undead" can be read fully.

3) to supplement your Battle Cmds. editor, which currently covers CF/FE00 and CF/FE01. there's more command data at C2/278A (for commands 00h - 1Dh). the bits for the byte are:
Bit 7: Abort on Characters
Bit 6: Randomize Target
Bit 5: beat on corpses if no valid targets left (this concerns dead targets *during* the multi-strike [e.g. Offering] turn that killed them, not later turns.)
Bit 4: Can Target Dead/Hidden Entities
Bit 3: Don't Retarget if Target Invalid
Bits 2-1: used for function table pointer, probably outside the scope of editor.
Bit 0: Exclude Attacker From Targets
Assassin

Postby PocoLoco19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

thanks J I'll email you the ips

I did create a back-up but for some reason it still gave me the same issue
Oooooooo Nooooo Not-A-Finwrand!
PocoLoco19

Postby Lenophis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm

If a backup of the issue was created, the issue will still exist. Hopefully it is just the pointers, but I fear the dialogue itself may be gone. :cry:
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PocoLoco19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm

damn that would suck :(
Oooooooo Nooooo Not-A-Finwrand!
PocoLoco19

Postby Fiction Alchemist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 am

Found a bug in version 6.7 (the official one on the Lord J Website).

All it takes is opening a ROM image (I use "Final Fantasy III" USA 1.0 version) and clicking on save. You don't even need to modify any data, but if you do or don't it is the same. The program will write FF to a region of the file that I believe it should not. I can confirm that it will do this to bytes CFEC4 through CFF61 (851652 through 851809). I confirmed that because I had several patches applied and the program destroyed them. The following patches had written data to that area:

Shadow Alone Can't Leave
Edgar Revealed
Airship Blushing
Zozo Jumping
Duncan Leaping
ShadowGirl

Most are mblock129 patches, but the top one is an Imzogelmo patch.

Also, I don't know if this is a bug: If you open a ROM image in FF3usME and click "save", (even if you didn't modify any data, just like mentioned above) the program writes to a lot of bytes beginning at address 2EB21E (3060254) and ending at address 2F9D16 (3120406).
AKA Hollywood Narrator, C. V. Reynolds
Fiction Alchemist

Postby Assassin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 am

shit!! sorry for the extremely delayed post approval; i hadn't checked the Moderation queue in ages (as new users are disabled until we finally upgrade phpBB), and just became aware of the problem from your slickproductions.org post. anyway, Lord J's 8/4/2011 post does address the large chunk of bytes being changed.
Assassin

Postby Rainflush » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:18 am

I'm unsure if this has been mentioned as of yet but renaming Battle Cmds. in the FF3usME Battle Editor does not likewise alter those names in the Skills section of the in-game menu screen. So if you renamed "Blitz" for example, it would remain as "Blitz" in the Skills menu.
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Lenophis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Indeed, although the text in the skills menu is documented. You'll find what you need here.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rainflush » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, I have managed to change the names of a few skills now though I've encountered a new problem by consequence. I replaced the word "Rage" with "Spirit" (The idea being Gau familiarizes himself with the ways of a said creature and is thus able to evoke their powers) and loaded the game to find the word "Dance" in the Skills menu has been shifted to the right, residing mostly outside of the menu's window. The word appears again one or two lines below for some reason, it looks something like this:

SwdTech
Blitz
Lore
"Spirit" Dance
----------------------Dance

Note that there are no quotations around the word in the hex editor/game and the hyphens represent spaces. I realize the word "Spirit" has two more letters than "Rage", which I imagine is the source of the problem. Which bytes need to be changed here?
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Lenophis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:50 pm

There are multiple instances where "Rage" is printed in bank C3, so you'll have to find all of them to change. Unfortunately, you don't have enough room in each of the original spots, because the text is longer. You'll have to move each instance to the end of the bank so your text will fit. The second issue you'll have is real-estate, that is to say, the box that holds the skill names won't fit an 11-letter name. Observe:

You'll have to expand the window (which is easy, it's right next to one of the Rage text calls, and it's commented), and then most likely have to expand the blanking that is done, though I'm not 100% sure where that is at the moment.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rainflush » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Lenophis wrote:You'll have to move each instance to the end of the bank so your text will fit.

Would this line need to be altered?

C3/539B: A0985C LDY #$5C98 (Address at which you find the word "Rage")

Or would I simply have to adjust each line designated as "Position and word 'Rage'". I must admit I don't know where the end of the bank is located, or what part of the byte deputes it's location. Is there a document which explains how this works?

Lenophis wrote:The second issue you'll have is real-estate, that is to say, the box that holds the skill names won't fit an 11-letter name.

The window appears to accommodate a maximum of seven letters per entry, the word "Spirit" contains only six. Why would the window need to be expanded if the new name for "Rage" has one less letter than "SwdTech" or "Bushido"?
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Lenophis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 am

Rainflush wrote:"Spirit" Dance

This makes it seem like you want both words, which is well beyond 7 letters. If, however, you only want to make it "Spirit" then you only need to move the text.

Rainflush wrote:Would this line need to be altered?

C3/539B: A0985C LDY #$5C98 (Address at which you find the word "Rage")

Yes, you need to change it to whatever address you change it to when you move the text.

I must admit I don't know where the end of the bank is located

Each bank is 0x10000 bytes in size. Bank C0 starts at 0x000000, bank C1 starts at 0x010000, and so-on.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PsychopathDrLugae » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Hello: I can't run the latest version on Win7. I get an error message saying it was not possible to find the entry point for "wmemcpy_s" in MSVCR1000.dll. Could someone help please?
PsychopathDrLugae

Postby LordJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Did you install the latest MFC redistribuables? There is a link to download the 32-bit or 64-bit installer just a bit further down on the "Utilities" page on my web site.
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby PsychopathDrLugae » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:59 am

I hadn't seen it...sorry for asking something so simple. Also thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it a lot.
PsychopathDrLugae

Postby Rainflush » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:56 am

I've noticed that Morph Packs will sometimes switch to the items from Pack 00 (Antidote, Green Cherry, Eyedrop, Soft) when the Item Editor window is closed, and once it happens once it will keep reverting in this way. This is particularly strange because I managed to change most of the packs before this started happening...
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby LordJ » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 am

I was able to reproduce the problem on my side. Flipping through the Morph Packs and pressing OK will always make the selected Pack getting populated with the items from Pack #0.

The only workaround with v6.7.0 is:
1) do your Pack edits, flip through any of the Packs
2) go back to Pack index #0
3) click OK
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Rainflush » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Corrected, thanks Lord J.
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Assassin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 am

some corrections/additions on monster script commands:

- for FB 0B and FB 0C, all 4 status bytes are usable, so there's no need to have "???" for 18h to 1Fh values.
- FB 0D is "Set Hide status on self".
- FB 08 isn't used by any monster, but can be summarized as "If desired target(s) found, make own ATB refill REALLY fast".
- for F5 nn 03, the monster(s)' HP is not refilled. the hiding differs from F5 nn 01 in that the monster isn't marked to be removed from the battlefield in this one.
- F5 nn 01 doesn't kill the monster(s), but hides it, and marks it to be removed from the battlefield.
- F5 nn 05 sets Hide and Death on the monster(s).
- for the various F5 00 nn nn commands, "suddenly" is misspelled with a "t" in there.
Assassin

Postby Assassin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 am

a couple feature suggestions:

1) a Monster formation special event data editor, based on this info:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=637

then brilliantly rediscovered years later by yours truly:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=993

(ok, that second topic is mostly pointless, but does have a couple clarifications.)

-------------

2) a Colosseum monster height adjustment editor. i think i requested this via email eons ago, but i could be mistaken. it's not super useful, but it should also be easy to code (at least compared to other things you've tackled).

to quote from an old post in an unrelated thread, since i'm too lazy to rephrase it all:
me wrote:Colosseum monsters don't have formations, so the game has to determine their X and Y coordinates in other ways. the X-coordinate is basically just centered around a certain point. the Y-coordinate also starts off [near] centered [at 128 - monster height], but is further modified based on the monster's EC/E800 value.

see C1/1584 and the comments around C1/15EF in a Bank C1 disassembly.

so after the vertical near-centering, it reads a 0-4 value from the 256-byte EC/E800 table (indexed by monster number). 0 is a special case that will make the Y-coordinate zero, so as to "hang" the monster from the top of the screen (as in Trapper, Drop and Junk). if the value is 1-4, it gets reduced by 1 and used to index the four-byte C1/1584 table. the value read from here is added to the previous (128 - height) Y-coordinate. two of the four values are large enough to wrap the sum past 256 for most monsters, and thus serve as negative adjustments (as Square likely intended).

no special steps would be needed in the editor for the wrapping, aside from maybe a note to that effect, so users don't try to type in negative values.

the EC/E800 offset is the same on all 3 versions of the game. the C1/1584 in FF3us 1.0 is at the same place on FF3us 1.1, and C1/155C on FF6j.
Assassin

Previous

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation