FF6LE "Rogue" version

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

FF6LE "Rogue" version

Postby LordJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 am

I've compiled a new version of FF6LE to handle WoB and WoR expansion, like FF3Ed would in the old days. This new version makes it compatible with FF3usME 6.7, no more map corruptions. Binary and sources available at my web site, under the "Utilities" section.

Expanded bank in use is, by default, $F1 but it can be changed through a registry modification:
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FF3LE\FF6LE]
"ExpBank"=dword:000000f1
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Re: FF6LE "Rogue" version

Postby Odbarc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:26 am

<3 Lord J

I haven't touched my rom hack in forever (that's like me) but I'm always stock piling the latest updated versions of hacks.

((Should I replace the old LE?))
Odbarc

Postby Rainflush » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:21 am

You've done it again Lord J, excellent work! I wasn't planning to alter the maps in my hack (perhaps another version), though I trust I can use this to dilineate the encounter zones in the overworld?
Rainflush
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Warrax » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:01 am

FF6LE is great, I'm glad it work along with FF3usME now, thanks Lord J.

Odbarc wrote:Should I replace the old LE?

I see no reason to keep the old version as it was causing corruption to the ROM.
Warrax
Active User
Active User

Postby Lenophis » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 am

Actually, if all Lord J did was allow expanded rom space to be used, then whatever problems of the original editor will still exist. Just saying. :roll:
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LordJ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 am

The old LE had the WoB/WoR pointers hard coded.

Changing the order of map data and tiles instead of using the one originally slated by Square was one problem. I've fixed this in a test build of ME. Using ME first, then LE was fine, but corruption problems would come again, when returning to ME then to LE.

The second problem was that ME reprogrammed the map/tiles pointers, when space was available. Say you made the WoB simpler, the compressed map would get smaller. Then, saving the WoB tiles would be "earlier" than 0x2F134F. FF6LE didn't like this.

So yeah, I don't really like to remove features, so I had to get this FF6LE to work like FF3Ed did for the overworld maps :mrgreen:

PS: the FF3usME "ROM manager" will lie to you when using the new FF6LE: it'll say that the expanded data (if in use) will be in bank $F0. This is not true!! Bank $F1 (or whatever you changed that registry key for) will be the real expanded bank. This is just a display bug.

PS2: on a similar topic, when using expanded maps or dialogs, do not save twice. Save once, close FF3usME, then reopen. This is a nasty bug that Gi Nattak recently found. There is a counter in the save function that should get reset but doesn't ATM :(
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Gogo13 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 pm

You are what-the-fuck good at this
Gogo13
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Warrax » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 am

The following issue is probably found in the original version of the map editor but here goes: after some modifications in the maps, I've noticed a freeze when doing the Serpent Trench event with Sabin/Cyan/Gau. Right after all the 3 jumps into the water and then attempt to switch into mode7 based Serpent Trench, the screen stays black and nothing is happening. I decided to use a backup I did before modifying maps and the black screen freeze goes away so I assume the map editor is the cause. I didn't modified any maps related to this event.
Warrax
Active User
Active User

Postby LordJ » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:59 am

True, the Serpent Trench does get corrupted. Madsiur at the FF6hacking forum got also the same bug.

The first thing that'll need to be looked at will be the pointers. At offset 0x2EB460 and until 0x2EB490 (headered ROM), there is 29 pointers to stuff like mini map, WoB/WoB tiles/maps. Must've squashed one of them that deals with the Serpent Trench, of which I have absolutely no idea where the tiles and maps are located. No wait a sec, going through Geiger's offsets table (headered):

2F9F17 2FB830 MAP Yes Serpent Trench Map Data 6/24/2002 ---> pointer to that located at 0x2EB427
2FB831 2FC823 GFX Yes Serpent Trench tiles 8/28/2002 ---> pointer to that located at 0x2EB42A

If any of the 6 bytes starting at 0x2EB427 are different from an unmodified ROM, then FF3LE or FF3usME is at fault when writting the pointers.

If not, then, one of the two programs is crushing data between 0x2F9F17 and 0x2FB831. Just even corrupting the first byte only would to it. The problem could be there, after all, the data that preceeds is the WoR tiles and WoR maps!!
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Postby LordJ » Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 am

I may have solved the problem with FF6LE Rogue corrupting the Serpent Trench. The latest version as been uploaded on my web site, http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/ under the category "utilities". Look for the 2013-05-25 version.

FYI, to re-create the bug with the old version, all that was needed was to:
1) use a 32-mbit expanded ROM
2) open it in FF6LE Rogue
3) open the Level Editor, save, close
4) save in the main panel

Thanks goes out to Warrax for the "wake-up" mail to do something about this. No thanks goes out to my headered offset table pasted in a headerless based code :roll:
LordJ
Active User
Active User

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation