Monster formation special event data (aka: I am slow)

If it has bytes, we can change it. Talk about anything relating to hacking and emulation here.

Moderators: General Moderator, Game Moderator

Monster formation special event data (aka: I am slow)

Postby Assassin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:08 am

Code: Select all
D0/FD00
Formation Special Event data
24 bytes per structure

---------------------

Byte 0:
Bits 0-6: ???  (1-6 might be unused)
Bit 7: 1 = Null out present party members first

Byte 1:
New battle background, unless FFh

Byte 2:
Bitfield of untargetable monsters (the unset bits)

Byte 3: ???

Then four of the following sub-structure, starting every 5 bytes, with an initial Offset of 4:
Offset + 0:
  Bits 0-5: Which Character to install
  Bit 6: 1 = Character acting as enemy
  Bit 7: 1 = Not onscreen to start battle?
  (Whole byte is FFh when unoccupied)
Offset + 1: Sprite of installed character (FFh will have sprite read from normal
             roster data)
Offset + 2: Bottom byte of monster # (top byte is treated as 1) whose command
             script will be used (FFh means null, don't bother)
Offset + 3: Approximate starting X coordinate of character / 2
Offset + 4: Approximate starting Y coordinate of character / 2
  (Coordinates seem to be ignored when an animated sequence is involved, like
   with Kefka and Gestahl on FC, as opposed to just showing up like Gau on Veldt)

any help with the unknown byte and bit(s) would be much appreciated. also, the coordinates have "approximate" because they're not putting the sprite exactly where i'd expect (or i'm not sure where (0,0) is), and were only tested in the two events above.
Assassin

Re: Monster formation special event data

Postby Lenophis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:50 am

*ahem* :lol:

I believe bits 1-6 on byte 0 are unused. I'm not sure we decoded byte 4(n+5) correctly. We're pretty sure the X/Y positions are pixel coordinates.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Assassin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:46 pm

motherfucker!! :oops: i mean, uh, good work, Lenophis and Imzogelmo of Winter past. :)

i don't think i checked anything besides the general (and outdated) ROM offset lists out there before deciding this needed to be decoded. and must have flat-out failed to search the forums. because who here decodes anything? and what's been found on this game since ~2004, anyway?

i probably read your topic when it was new, then plum forgot about it.

anyway, after doublechecking your work, i can say that it is of the utmost quality. aside from the two things i hadn't found, it looks like we mostly match. i do think the coordinate / 2 is more accurate. Bit 6 of the per-character info should probably combine our descriptions into something like "Character acting as enemy, turned around" (because Sealed Gate Kefka faces left, and because "enemy" isn't as meaningful if your party's not in the battle). in Byte 4, etc, i do think the character # extends up into bit 4.

i can't find where the code checks Bit 5 to do Magitek armor. and the events that have this bit set don't seem like they'd involve the suits, but i'm going off of FF3usME's uber-terse event names. do you by any chance have a better list of the names?

also, thanks for not mocking me. :oops:
Assassin

Postby Lenophis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Assassin wrote:motherfucker!!

All in a day's work. :lol:

and must have flat-out failed to search the forums. because who here decodes anything?

To be fair, it is a poorly worded topic title, and unless you actually opened it up, you wouldn't know what it is about.

and what's been found on this game since ~2004, anyway?

Too much. I think the Reboot season 3 opera finalé can give a brief summary.

i do think the coordinate / 2 is more accurate.

We didn't do that extensive of testing on it, so you're probably right.

Bit 6 of the per-character info should probably combine our descriptions into something like "Character acting as enemy, turned around" (because Sealed Gate Kefka faces left, and because "enemy" isn't as meaningful if your party's not in the battle).

Maybe, but then I have to think about Cyan during the 3 battles in the Imperial Camp, when he "acts as an enemy" and still faces left.

in Byte 4, etc, i do think the character # extends up into bit 4.

:o

i can't find where the code checks Bit 5 to do Magitek armor. and the events that have this bit set don't seem like they'd involve the suits, but i'm going off of FF3usME's uber-terse event names. do you by any chance have a better list of the names?

The Magitek armor appearance was odd. We know bit 5 was read, but we never were able to clearly figure out what it was for. Other bits also seemed to put a character into the armor, and logic dictates that they shouldn't.

also, thanks for not mocking me. :oops:

Crap, I was supposed to mock you? Damn it all, I better start over...
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Assassin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Lenophis wrote:
me wrote:Bit 6 of the per-character info should probably combine our descriptions into something like "Character acting as enemy, turned around" (because Sealed Gate Kefka faces left, and because "enemy" isn't as meaningful if your party's not in the battle).

Maybe, but then I have to think about Cyan during the 3 battles in the Imperial Camp, when he "acts as an enemy" and still faces left.

if those are indeed events 5 and 6, the "act as an enemy" flag in Byte 4 isn't set for those. note that Byte 5 is the sprite, which is the other area where our findings differed.
Assassin

Postby Lenophis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Ooooooh, I was misreading. For some reason I had a character using AI and "acting as an enemy" as one-in-the-same here.
Lenophis
Veteran
Veteran

Return to ROM Hacking and Emulation